Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 02-15-2010, 02:14 PM

Steve....by far my favorite setup is a 6'3 med action St. Croix avid with Xtra fast tip...thats the rod I used to catch the 51" er in Nov...it can handle the heat....!!!
Old 02-15-2010, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
Still get outfished by the old guy with a busted up rod/ beat up reel
Skip gets outfished?!

On a different note, does anyone have any pictures uploaded of these custom rods they could post? Would like to see some examples. Thanks!
Old 02-15-2010, 07:03 PM

Steve, I am VERY happy with the 2 rods you made me. One 6'6" and the other 6'0". Both were med heavy fast action.................Gary
Old 02-15-2010, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumbo1 View Post
Steve....by far my favorite setup is a 6'3 med action St. Croix avid with Xtra fast tip...thats the rod I used to catch the 51" er in Nov...it can handle the heat....!!!
I agree with Jamie. I don't usually use Med Heavy rods for jigging stripers. They don't get too big for a stiff-tipped med-action rod. No matter the blank quality, sensitivity is basically a result of weight and action. The faster the action and lighter the rod, the quicker you feel the strike.

Even though I use casting rods, like Steve and others, I still prefer shorter rods. The trade off in a short rod is less casting distance, but to my thinking, the shorter the rod the faster the strike transmission. I don't get in too many jigging situations where I need to make long casts.

I also think that the farther up the rod you can get a finger the better the sensitivity. Not necessarily because it gets you closer to the fish, but because it moves up the fulcrum of the lever, so any force is transmitted more quickly. So I don't like any cork, foam, or whatever in front of the reel.

I've come to this thinking in the past three years, used to didn't think it mattered.

"Catch & Release - A picture is worth a thousand fish"
Old 02-15-2010, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Kimbro View Post
I agree with Jamie. I don't usually use Med Heavy rods for jigging stripers. They don't get too big for a stiff-tipped med-action rod. No matter the blank quality, sensitivity is basically a result of weight and action. The faster the action and lighter the rod, the quicker you feel the strike.

Even though I use casting rods, like Steve and others, I still prefer shorter rods. The trade off in a short rod is less casting distance, but to my thinking, the shorter the rod the faster the strike transmission. I don't get in too many jigging situations where I need to make long casts.

I also think that the farther up the rod you can get a finger the better the sensitivity. Not necessarily because it gets you closer to the fish, but because it moves up the fulcrum of the lever, so any force is transmitted more quickly. So I don't like any cork, foam, or whatever in front of the reel.

I've come to this thinking in the past three years, used to didn't think it mattered.
I completely agree with you Shawn BUT I use the rods for different types of fishing than JUST jigging. I use them for live lining around the bridge pilings where I need more muscle to keep from getting broke off and for tog. If I had to pick a rod just for jigging, I would use a 6' med with nothing but rod in front of the reel.............Gary
Old 02-16-2010, 09:42 AM

Smile

I use a 6'6" St.Croix for trolling in after the big guys are gone and we are catching the residents. My best fishing buddy loves the St.Croix. I have bought a St.Croix blank and attempting to build my own trolling rod since the rods you buy in the shops have a 10" rear butt and I want one with a 14" rear butt. The 14" rear butt makes it is more comfortable when fighting a 30"+ rock.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Kimbro View Post

Shawn, How heavy of a jig will you go up to on a Med. rod?
Old 02-16-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tksmitty View Post
Shawn, How heavy of a jig will you go up to on a Med. rod?
2 oz jigs are no problem. Add another 1.2 ounces for a 10 inch BKD.

Not putting down anyone who prefers a Med-Hvy rod. Obviously, a lot of real good fishermen do. Bottom line is to have confidence and be tuned-in to what you're using.

"Catch & Release - A picture is worth a thousand fish"
Old 02-16-2010, 01:14 PM

One thing I've found with the rating - it varies greatly from brand to brand.

I've seen light action rated for 3-5 ozs - medium rated for 1 -2 ozs.

I think it all boils down to finding a rod that " feels " right for how you fish.

Shawn - old school trick - we used to cut away the foam on the underside of the fore grip. This let fingers touch the blank for a better feel.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
Shawn - old school trick - we used to cut away the foam on the underside of the fore grip. This let fingers touch the blank for a better feel.
I have done a few of these as well with the Eva foam and I used a rat tail file to do it and it does a great job. I have even done a cork fore grip and I think it came out nice, just ask Josh K about this one....
Contact Info:
Backyard Custom Rods and Repairs.
(301) 898-1136 or Cell (240) 486-0007
E-Mail BCRodsandRepairs@aol.com