Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 12-05-2014, 08:02 PM

Default Followed 5th Tuiton

I followed Marty in his nice truck and nice boat to Southern Maryland today. He had some shady characters with him so I kept a safe distance but was able to keep an eye on him.

We crushed fish. Nothing big but good action on nice fish with fish to 34". Most fish were 26"-29" and full of sea lice. Deep rods with 6" baits started the day hot, then the planers got some decent action as the day went on. Numerous passes with multiple fish on at once. On top of the ledge next to the deep water held most the fish.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dec5a.jpg (86.2 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg dec5b.jpg (50.6 KB, 28 views)
Old 12-05-2014, 09:54 PM

I think Jeff has a photo of both boats in the WAWA station, St Mary's County.
5th
Old 12-06-2014, 08:09 AM

Nice catch and report Marty. Damn shame you gotta travel so far to catch fish.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako mike View Post
Nice catch and report Marty. Damn shame you gotta travel so far to catch fish.
I couldn't agree more. I had a buddy (Alan-Just Chillin) who was out yesterday trolling by the Key Bridge. One undersize fish to show for his efforts. Greg had a buddy out of Solomon's on Thursday who fought a few fish, but not what is available from Point No Point to Point Lookout. For this reason, we decided to make the trip all the way down to the tip of Maryland

In years past (5 or more yrs ago) we could count on big migratory fish showing up after Thanksgiving. No More I watch the action on "The Bass Barn" and it appears the big girls are still off lower N.J. and Delaware Bay. IF, If, If they decide to make the turn into the Chesapeake, they will not be here until after our season has ended. There have been some reports of big trophies caught off O.C. and in the Cape Charles area, but these are the "scouts" not the main slug of fish.

Most every fish we boated yesterday had sea lice But this has me confused. Are these ocean fish? Why aren't the big ones with them? These were all "cookie cutter" fish 24-28 inches with an occasional just over 30 thrown in.

I guess we will get a better idea what's happening when we fish the Virginia season which doesn't end until Dec. 31'st. Will the Big girls make the turn? Or, will they stay out in the ocean and head south to Virginia Beach/North Carolina?

I will say, I was disappointed in the amount of bait we saw yesterday. We occasionally saw a big bait ball, but for the most part, the fish were concentrated and you trolled from one school to another. When you found a school, multiple rods would go down. Then you would pick up a single here or there until you hit another school and all he11 would break lose again.

With all the boats concentrated on the school, you usually got one pass through and couldn't turn around quickly enough to get back on the same school:roll eyes:

This is where having two boats in the same area helps. Greg and I would find a nice grade of fish and radio to each other, "Right here Greg" and he could turn and follow behind where I had just scored; or vice versa. Then we would break off and look for another school. I bet we were never more than half mile to a mile away from each other all day.

We quit earlier than Greg. We were fun fishing; he had a charter. He kept a slot open for "Bubba" and worked hard to find that last big fish for his coustomers I have to give Greg credit, his people got there money's worth yesterday. We showed rain in Solomon's on our cell phone weather app, so we ran for the barn. I was hoping to see some birds working on the way in so Jason could give us a 'Jigging" lesson but that didn't happen (just ducks).

We loaded the boat and had raindrops on the windshield as we pulled out of PLO park. Fishing was so fast and furious (no not like Eric Holder) that my crew didn't have a chance to eat or drink anything, so they broke out their lunches and ate while I had to smell their food and drive

Once again; I can't tell you how enjoyable it was to have three experienced fishermen and two other Judge owners onboard. When Jason or Jeff was at the wheel, I had every confidence that our spread was going to make it through the gaggle of boats surrounding us. What a luxury to be able to relax and concentrate on the back of the boat when I found myself back there.

Although; they did let a few fish get away with "quick releases" on several occasions But I would always here the same excuse, "that was just a small fish", even though the rod was bent over quite well

Weather permitting, we will do it again.
5th (Marty)
Old 12-06-2014, 10:57 AM

Looks like a week long blow is coming in starting tomorrow. Winds dont look nice until next Friday according to fishweather.com. I have a Christmas party to go to next Friday evening so I am not sure I will make it down there before Monday the 15th. (I cant fish next weekend due to my daughter performing in the nut cracker and family in town)

http://www.wunderground.com/MAR/AN/534.html

I should have finalized a trip for today but the rain, fog, and chore list from the wife got the better of me.

I did get my reciprocal permits to run charters in VA so I hope to make a few trips over the line once the MD season ends. I hope to have some buddy boats out there too.
Old 12-06-2014, 11:41 AM

No Ansel Adams picture but you get the idea. (It was 6AM with an iPhone)

Twinsies!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (90.5 KB, 24 views)

Old 12-07-2014, 12:00 PM

Team Judge caravan

Here are some more photos from my crew on the day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tlg1.jpg (54.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg tlg2.jpg (57.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg tlg3.jpg (50.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg tlg4.jpg (62.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg tlg5.jpg (80.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg tlg6.jpg (68.1 KB, 18 views)