Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 06-04-2013, 10:25 AM

Default newbi needs help

I was an avid smallmouth fisherman on the susquehanna for years but I caught the salt water bug bad. I have been fishing with a buddy who has a place on the eastern shore of va and have fished all the hot spots there,Quimby ,Willis wharf,Wach, Cape Charles etc. My problem is I live 51/2 hours away and I don't like inviting myself so I want to fish out of Sandy Point on Sunday. I would like to just bottom fish for croaker,blues, perch, or anything that will keep the kids happy. I sold my bass boat and bought a 19 ft carolina skiff( I told you I have the bug bad). If anyone can point me in the right direction as far as baits and local I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks
Old 06-04-2013, 12:47 PM

Sandy Point is a great location for your size rig.

First thing - find a good chart of the area and study it. Lots of good spots will jump at at you ( humps , edges , etc ).

The bridge itself offers good fishing but beware - it can be dangerous. Currents often run fast here and large boat wakes can push you into pilings.

Some of the pilings of the north and south bridge are not in line. Boats often need to come close to your boat to avoid pilings of other bridge. No idea why it was built like this.

Right now - many are chumming / chunking along the 25 to 35 foot depth just south of bridge. They anchor after spotting fish near bottom.

Hacketts point often offers good bottom fishing. It is marked by green can. Anywhere to west of it is hard bottom but watch for crab pot floats in in 20 feet or less.

Just north of bridge is Sandy Point lighthouse. Just east about 150 feet - is sharp drop. This can be good area to try.

Going north - look at the 30 foot contour - it takes a turn to west about 1 mile above light. This is Podickery Point. Good area but be careful anchoring - old cables in this area.

Soon - small Spot will arrive and many anglers shift to live lining them. It's great fun and 99% of Rock hooked will be keepers.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:56 PM

Lots of Croaker around now, I have found them in about 20'of water.
Frozen shrimp works well as bait on top and bottom rigs. Your kids will have a blast. As skip said hackets would be a good spot to start. Keep coming south til you find them.

Jimmy
Old 06-06-2013, 08:18 PM

You could head a little north and work around Baltimore Light and Podickery Point. You'll likely see a few other boats in the area so you'll know you're in the right spot.

There are hundreds of great spots in the Magothy if you want a ton of White Perch action.

Decent White Perch 10" to 12" are up in the shallows now.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:41 AM

Just wanted to thank you guys for the info, took kids on Sunday after Bay Bridge swim and fished till about 2, we caught croaker,perch and spot in 18 to 20 feet pretty much all day. They had a blast.