Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Gear, Tackle, Electronics

Old 03-11-2010, 09:05 AM

Default Good Info for VHF DSC Capable Radio Owners

I've been wanting to take full advantage of my VHF this year so I've been tinkering with it. I've found some good info from BoatUS about the Digital Selective Calling (DSC) features. If you're not sure what it is or just aren't aware of it's advantages, take a look at the 1st link below. It takes about a half our or so to get through. Aside from the safety features of DSC, most DSC radios will allow you to store 20 or more of your buddies MMSI. You'll be able to poll their Lat/Lon without ever having to blast it over the radio! Or you can call them regardless of what channel they're on and can have them switch to a channel of your choosing (i.e. instead of 68, you put them on 71 and talk in a less crowded forum). Hope you find this useful.

http://www.boatus.com/foundation/dsc/player.html

And if you don't have your MMSI yet, you can get that here:

http://www.boatus.com/mmsi/instruct.htm

Keith
Old 03-11-2010, 09:36 AM

Keith; I know my radio has DSC available but I have no idea how to use it. Maybe you could make arrangements to go on anglers boats and you could instruct them the proper use of their radio. You could "fine tune" the radio so everyone could get the optimum performance from their equipment.

If you don't do it; I know someone who will.
5th (Marty)
Old 03-11-2010, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
Keith; I know my radio has DSC available but I have no idea how to use it. Maybe you could make arrangements to go on anglers boats and you could instruct them the proper use of their radio. You could "fine tune" the radio so everyone could get the optimum performance from their equipment.

If you don't do it; I know someone who will.
5th (Marty)
I could make myself available to do that but, I've got to tell you, it won't be cheap! First, I'll charge $400 just to show up. Of course, we'll have to get underway to look for other boats to do radio checks with. I'm sure there will be some loser on board talking about boats at 7ft knoll but what does he know? I've been doing radio checks since the 60's.
After running at WOT all day and burning about 75 gals of fuel, I'll finally end up at 7ft knoll and get a radio check. To make sure that I know exactly who I got the check with, I'll run up on them at full throttle and kill the engine just before I'm about to ram them. After joking around with these guys who obviously don't like me, I'll whip out the ol' goat and piss while shooting the breeze with them.

Sound like a plan?
Old 03-11-2010, 10:01 AM

Ahhh Memories
Laughing My Ass Off Right Now.
5th (Marty)
Old 03-11-2010, 12:51 PM

Will the DSC enabled radio once plugged in to the GPS post the position of the other vessel in your buddy list, since it is sending coordinates?

Fish Nut now supplying crack!!!!

PSG

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Contrary to rumors you have heard: I Fish A Lot. I Don’t Catch A Lot

Last edited by Fish Nut; 03-11-2010 at 01:09 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:28 PM
Baldzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Nut View Post

Will the DSC enabled radio once plugged in to the GPS post the position of the other vessel in your buddy list, since it is sending coordinates?

Fish Nut now supplying crack!!!!
None of you bastards can catch fish anyway, what good is it going to be to know where you are????

****, almost forgot the smiley
Old 03-11-2010, 02:29 PM
Baldzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer View Post
To make sure that I know exactly who I got the check with, I'll run up on them at full throttle and kill the engine just before I'm about to ram them. After joking around with these guys who obviously don't like me, I'll whip out the ol' goat and piss while shooting the breeze with them.

Sound like a plan?
Now that's funny, I don't care who you are...but that story stays on the May Craft, we only share it with very special people!!!
Old 03-17-2010, 04:36 AM

Great Information about the radio that is.

TED