Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 02-16-2010, 03:16 PM

Default Whats up with DNR

I had a conversation with an individual this weekend about DNR and Tom O’Connell. I don’t want to stir up the board. However, I generally measure a person by there actions. At this moment I don’t understand enough about the politics of fisheries director. I will also admit that my scope is limited to Chesapeake Bay and the general species I pursue.

I ask everyone to please fill me in on the accomplishments from the department, that have not been forced upon them. I am extremely concerned about the resent vote at the ASMFC to increase costal commercial landing which Maryland voted for. Was this even discussed with the joint tidal fish advisory board? Why would the fisheries director vote in favor of a proposition which will hurt Maryland Fisheries?

I am not even going to bring up PSCR. What’s going on in Maryland

I want some transparency in major policy decisions which impacts our
fishery.

I will admit maybe I don’t understand. If this is true please educate me on what I am missing.

I am feeling increasingly marginalized as a recreational fisherman.

PSG

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Contrary to rumors you have heard: I Fish A Lot. I Don’t Catch A Lot

Last edited by Fish Nut; 02-16-2010 at 03:23 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:41 PM

I share your concern Rob. All of the BS about PSCR and then they go and vote in favor of an increase for the commercial catch. Didn't they just allow the netters in MD an increase in the length of nets they are now allowed to carry. Kind of like watching the Keystone cops at their best. These are some of the reasons I questioned buying another fishing license from DNR.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:10 PM

I can't comment on the specific issues you have addressed, but I can say that I am generally disappointed with DNR and it's ineffectiveness.

The one interaction I had with DNR last year was regarding a nasty fishkill at Smithville Lake. I was assured that they would investigate and follow up with me on their findings. I contacted them several times to follow up, and it seems they never looked into it, and nobody ever returned my calls.

Small issue I know....but I fear it's indicative of the efficiency of most of our state government offices.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:14 PM

It's not about the fish..........it's politics Annapolis style........Gary
Old 02-16-2010, 06:46 PM

Ask them why commercial crabbers can set up trot lines earlier then recs

We need to pack all the DNR meetings so they hear our concerns. Too many times - only 1-2 people show up to important hearings.

There is no doubt politics play a big role in DNR.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:07 PM

One good thing about the C&R issue is that DNR is falling more and more under the microscope of the citizens of the state.

Obviously Mr. O'Connell and the DNR has a major message issue. I called Dave Smith of the MSSA and was told Mr. O'Connell will better clarify his position at the next SFAC meeting. Should be interesting.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:14 PM

My experiences have just bene limited to someone trying to board my boat, ruin my time, and take my money....Not sure what all the money may be going for....Guess its politics...Oh yeah the politics that we cant see and dont benefit us...Great job DNR...Thanks for being a viable resource for recreational folks, a great educational foundation, and an organization helps formulate good, consistent policy to protect, MY BAY.....Not !
Old 02-16-2010, 08:19 PM

Pretty sad. The "average" citizen who doesn't fish, crab, or hunt could care less about Marylands DNR. Now, they have lost respect even among those of us they impact.
Sounds like a formula for disaster. It's a shame the political appointies who are picked to run DNR can't see this fact.
The bar has been set so low for our representatives; it's getting hard to be disappointed anymore. I'm starting to expect incompetience.
5th (Marty)
Old 02-16-2010, 08:35 PM

While I'm pretty disappointed at the recent vote to increase commercial catch and the limits on C&R, I will throw this out there. The DNR is more than the heads of each division or office or whatever they are called. I've interacted with a lot of good people at the DNR who have done out of there way to give me and my colleagues a hand with their research. Many people have donated their time and allowed me to borrow equipment in order to do ecological research intended on helping the natural resources of the state. I am not suggesting a free pass for the agency, I only ask that when you consider not buying a license from the state this year, that there are a lot of hard working, honest, well intentioned people that will be impacted. However, for all employee, it's the nature of the game when you work for a government agency, but just something to think about.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
Pretty sad. The "average" citizen who doesn't fish, crab, or hunt could care less about Marylands DNR. Now, they have lost respect even among those of us they impact.
Sounds like a formula for disaster. It's a shame the political appointies who are picked to run DNR can't see this fact.
The bar has been set so low for our representatives; it's getting hard to be disappointed anymore. I'm starting to expect incompetience.
5th (Marty)

Marty I'm glad you said it first. I write, email and fax my representatives and members of key committees all the time. The responses, and lack of responses I get is absolutely appalling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug Guy View Post
While I'm pretty disappointed at the recent vote to increase commercial catch and the limits on C&R, I will throw this out there. The DNR is more than the heads of each division or office or whatever they are called. I've interacted with a lot of good people at the DNR who have done out of there way to give me and my colleagues a hand with their research. Many people have donated their time and allowed me to borrow equipment in order to do ecological research intended on helping the natural resources of the state. I am not suggesting a free pass for the agency, I only ask that when you consider not buying a license from the state this year, that there are a lot of hard working, honest, well intentioned people that will be impacted. However, for all employee, it's the nature of the game when you work for a government agency, but just something to think about.
Bug Guy I agree to a point....most if not all of the DNR police I've encountered over the years have been professional and usually pretty personable. My uncle has worked for DNR for years and I know the wide range of programs they run and the amount of dedication many put into their jobs.

Unfortunately though, the reputation of the entire agency will be based upon its weakest link, which in this case is the most important link; the "executive management" of DNR.

The best way to effect change in the department is to start at the top and hold them accountable for their actions or in many cases, inaction.