Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 02-23-2015, 05:48 PM

Default RSCA - Hate It

Does anybody else hate the anti- slip control on their vehicle. My Tundra has it, and my wife's little car (Mazda Miata) as well.

I first noticed it on her car. It is terrible in the snow. It has rear wheel drive and NO weight over the tires. We have a small incline (30%) on the road leading to our driveway. On a previous snow, I couldn't get her car up the hill onto our property. Her anti-slip device was on and it limited the speed at which I could spin the rear tires I could put the accelerator all the way to the floor, and it would limit the amount of gas applied to the wheels I backed down our road twice before pushing the button to disconnect the anti-slip.
I am old school:roll eyes: I was taught to get the car moving, and keep your momentum going at all cost. If your rear wheels started to spin, you let up on the gas, gained traction, and kept going. In fact, if the roads were really slippery; you timed your arrival at an intersection (stop sign or red light) when no other traffic was approaching, and you drove right through. If you stopped, chances were you might not get going again.

Soooo; Saturday saw me at TriState fishing flea market. Captain John had minor surgery done on Friday and couldn't do the show. I filled in for him, knowing they were calling for snow in the afternoon. I left Deale near 3pm. We had nothing happening down south; but I had a couple inches near my home (BWI Airport). As I traveled north, the snow developed and was sticking nicely to the roads I had the truck (4x4) so I wasn't concerned. When I hit Crownsville on rt 97; the roads were bad. Actually, the roads were ok but the drivers were panicked. I get it. Some are afraid to drive in the snow, but please get the he11 out of the fast lane!!! I could easily do 40-45 mph; but idiots were doing 25-30 and bottling everything up Cars were spun out on the roadside, and fender benders were everywhere.
I was concerned that some petrified driver was going to spin out into me, so I got off the highway. The truck was doing well in the snow, and I really gave it no concern. I drove normally. As I came to a red-light, I stopped. It was on a slight incline, but not that big of a deal. We had about 6 inches of snow underneath, and I expected to take off on the green with maybe a little slipping.
The truck was in 2 wheel drive, and had the RSCA on. When the light turned green, I gave it gas and the rear wheels slipped. The little icon glowed on the screen. I pressed the gas, and hardly anything happened. Again, the truck computer limited the amount of fuel to the tires (thus limiting slippage); but pissin the he11 out of me. If another vehicle had been bearing down on me; I couldn't get the heck out of the way!!!
Give me the old tires slipping and the truck sliding in one direction, and me turning into the slide. That's the way I learned how to drive
Next time, I will disengage the RSCA or put the truck in 4x4 mode.

And don't even get me started on the new cars that parallel park for you No wonder people can't drive!!
5th

Last edited by 5th Tuition; 02-23-2015 at 05:51 PM.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:29 PM

Marty,

My wife recently had an issue with her hubs and it caused a problem with her traction control....Truck stopped totally...Had to get it towed, the hub fixed, and the computer reset...

I feel your pain...
Old 02-24-2015, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
Does anybody else hate the anti- slip control on their vehicle. My Tundra has it, and my wife's little car (Mazda Miata) as well.

I first noticed it on her car. It is terrible in the snow. It has rear wheel drive and NO weight over the tires. We have a small incline (30%) on the road leading to our driveway. On a previous snow, I couldn't get her car up the hill onto our property. Her anti-slip device was on and it limited the speed at which I could spin the rear tires I could put the accelerator all the way to the floor, and it would limit the amount of gas applied to the wheels I backed down our road twice before pushing the button to disconnect the anti-slip.
I am old school:roll eyes: I was taught to get the car moving, and keep your momentum going at all cost. If your rear wheels started to spin, you let up on the gas, gained traction, and kept going. In fact, if the roads were really slippery; you timed your arrival at an intersection (stop sign or red light) when no other traffic was approaching, and you drove right through. If you stopped, chances were you might not get going again.

Soooo; Saturday saw me at TriState fishing flea market. Captain John had minor surgery done on Friday and couldn't do the show. I filled in for him, knowing they were calling for snow in the afternoon. I left Deale near 3pm. We had nothing happening down south; but I had a couple inches near my home (BWI Airport). As I traveled north, the snow developed and was sticking nicely to the roads I had the truck (4x4) so I wasn't concerned. When I hit Crownsville on rt 97; the roads were bad. Actually, the roads were ok but the drivers were panicked. I get it. Some are afraid to drive in the snow, but please get the he11 out of the fast lane!!! I could easily do 40-45 mph; but idiots were doing 25-30 and bottling everything up Cars were spun out on the roadside, and fender benders were everywhere.
I was concerned that some petrified driver was going to spin out into me, so I got off the highway. The truck was doing well in the snow, and I really gave it no concern. I drove normally. As I came to a red-light, I stopped. It was on a slight incline, but not that big of a deal. We had about 6 inches of snow underneath, and I expected to take off on the green with maybe a little slipping.
The truck was in 2 wheel drive, and had the RSCA on. When the light turned green, I gave it gas and the rear wheels slipped. The little icon glowed on the screen. I pressed the gas, and hardly anything happened. Again, the truck computer limited the amount of fuel to the tires (thus limiting slippage); but pissin the he11 out of me. If another vehicle had been bearing down on me; I couldn't get the heck out of the way!!!
Give me the old tires slipping and the truck sliding in one direction, and me turning into the slide. That's the way I learned how to drive
Next time, I will disengage the RSCA or put the truck in 4x4 mode.

And don't even get me started on the new cars that parallel park for you No wonder people can't drive!!
5th
Next time, give it a little more trim tab and tuck the motor in a little

27 Judge "HOOK 'EM"
bhl (Bruce)
Old 02-24-2015, 09:44 AM

Psssst , no matter what they they you - a Toyota is not a real pick up truck

Hell , even their axle ratios are in metric

That slop got compressed into icy slush - lot of two wheel drives had trouble , as did the drivers.

Tell me again why I live here ?????????
Old 02-24-2015, 05:04 PM

My car is front wheel drive and the manual eve says to disengage the traction control when starting out on snow or ice.

Works MUCH better with it turned off.
Old 02-25-2015, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot77 View Post
My car is front wheel drive and the manual eve says to disengage the traction control when starting out on snow or ice.

Works MUCH better with it turned off.
Are you telling me Marty did not read the instructions?
Old 02-25-2015, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako mike View Post
Instructions; I don't need no "stinkin" instructions

Heck, it took me a year to find out I can raise or lower my headlights. There is a little wheel in the cabin that you can move up or down and the headlight follows suit
Once Greg told me about it; I spent 20 minutes with the headlights shining on my garage doors and moving the lights up and down Pretty neat function. Who would have thought you can do this?

5th (Marty)
Old 02-25-2015, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako mike View Post
Heck I'm not saying >I< read the directions......isn't that what I have a wife for?
Old 02-26-2015, 07:51 AM

Marty, you better get out this morning before the snow melts and learn how of drive that tonka toy! Maybe you can go to Ferndale and put another coat of wax on the hull.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:59 AM

Wax it
I told them I would be in next week to work on my tackle. I still have 50% six inch shads on the rods from fall trolling. I have a bunch of 9 inch shads with stingers in them that I took off the spring spread. It will be a quick swap out of shads.

I have to look over what's left to make up some PSCR rigs
5th (Marty)

p.s. This snow is getting old