Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 04-12-2010, 04:19 AM

Default Fishing Report: Floundering in Chinco

Flounderfest 2010 was a HUGE success, for Team Dem Maryland Boys this past weekend. Crew consisted of Hillbilly Boater, Jim Hensley, myself and scab Timbo, in place of Rattletrap.

On Tim's ride, 23' Parker, which is perfect for flounder fishing.

Tim and Jack fished solo Friday, with minimal results. STIFF winds all day. They did finish off with 22" doormat towards the end of the day. Saturdays forecast, and Hensley and I coming down on Saturday morning, proved much better.

Thats until we got on the water ! Winds would just not let up. A falling tide in the AM, the AM session couldn;t suck enough. Around noon, we followed Team Natural Light, Terpheels, Shady Grady and two guys whose name escapes me right now, ( Lance was one)to the 175 Bridge, winds finally let up and Dem Maryland Boys finally figured out a good drift. And the flounder Gods rewarded us with some decent pullage for three hours, yielding 7 keepers over 20", and probably 18 throwbacks.

Team Backyard Rods was floating around us somewhere. Steve and Co had a difficult day. Natural Light could have gotten into the flow, but the Captain forgot to look at the fuel gauge.... Ooppsy !!!!!

Saturday night, home base was Terpheel Robs Chinco home. Rob was a gracious host, and prepared a Crab Feast second to none. Pat and Mike provided the Stand Up entertainment. Until you party with Pat, you have not partied. He's hysterical. And you can imagine, the beers were plentiful.

Sunday morning was a little foggy, at least in my head anyway. So instead of coffee, I just started drinking again....

Headed back out by 7:30. To catch the last of the incoming tide. Found a sand bar, and many many more boats. The locals know their ****. One boat was tearing them up, and I mean tearing them up. We FINALLY figured what the hell they were doing. " Back Trolling". So after a ugly morning of a few throw backs and " wet pants", we started to back troll. I wasn;t up for fishing, so I took the helm and started bumping the boat in and out of reverse. Hensley was on fire. About 9 in three hours. Jack finally got into the act, with a few keepers. Tide changed and so did our thought process. I finally got back in the saddle and picked about three or four. Tim got into the action also.

Baits were mostly Shiners and some hefty Smelts. Minnows caught a few also.

Looking at a long ride home, we pulled up at 4:30. Cleaned up, had dinner and departed. I got home at 10 after dropping Hensley off. Guessing Jack and Tim got home by 11.

Overall, easily the best Flounderfest ever. The originally concept six years ago was to spend the weekend amongst friends, and MAYBE catch a few flounder. The bar has been raised.

Many many thanks to Rob. I haven't seen Rob in awhile and it was great to catch up with him. My opinion of Chinco flounder has changed 180 degrees,for the better.

Last edited by Blakesdad; 04-12-2010 at 04:26 AM.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:41 AM

What areas were your fishing? IF you dont mine.

Vince
Old 04-12-2010, 07:18 AM

Well Team Backyard Custom Rods had a rough time out there. I had a new crew with me this year and it was Capt. Rick Fogle, Dave Lakin and Teddy Blank. These guys have been fishing together for a long time and Rick has been fishing down there for over 40 years so he knew of a couple of spots. The crew I had won the tournament 2 years ago and placed in the top 15 the last 5. Friday we got on the water at 0630 only to find the winds blowing 100MPH and rain and the water was dirty. We did catch 4 fish but all of them where throw back. We loaded the boat back on the trailer at 2:00 and check on Follies Creek but when we got there the water was just a dirty as Wachapreague so we just called it a day.

Saturday we were told to check out 4 mile so off we went. The wind was blowing some and we had some good drifts. We caught 4 fish on the first 5 drifts but all of them were throw backs. After Tim and crew left we check out some spots that Rick wanted to check and although it was good clean water we never caught a fish. Jack called and said they were on some fish above the 175 bridge so off we went only to have the wind pick up and we did not make it there. I had a 66 year old guy on the boat and he was getting bounced around a lot and also getting wet so we went to another spot that Rick wanted to check. We did pick up 3 fish at that spot but again all throw backs. Jack called again and said the winds are lying down so I told Rick we are going no matter what, so off we headed to the bridge and this time we made it. Brian told us were to start drifting and I’ll be damn we started to catch some fish but nothing over 18”. I finally caught a fish but Rick said it was yawing and the hooks just happen to be going over his mouth and I happen to catch it. Dave then caught our first keeper but it was on the last drift of the day and it was 19 ˝ so we did one keeper. Between Rick, Dave and Teddy they caught about 20 fish but like I said we only had 1 keeper.

It was good seeing all the guys out on the water and Rob (Terp) was giving me sh## for fishing “HIS” waters. I had a great time and was with good friends and I hope to catch something next year… Sorry to hijack your report B but needed to tell my story…..GO CAPS
Contact Info:
Backyard Custom Rods and Repairs.
(301) 898-1136 or Cell (240) 486-0007
E-Mail BCRodsandRepairs@aol.com
Old 04-12-2010, 07:41 AM

Awesome report! I hope to start flounder fishing in July with a few trips this summer to OCMD
Old 04-12-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapshoot View Post
What areas were your fishing? IF you dont mine.

Vince
Vince I dont mind. Fact of the matter is, I really dont know. It was North of the 175 Bridge, and on the West side. You'll see the boats.

Steve, ya weenie.. I still owe you a beer.. Sorry we didn;t hook up off the water. Before I knew it, I was three S's to the wind, and there was a couch with my name on it.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:38 PM

Boy, I'm glad some people are posting reports about our trip or I don't think I would know what happened. I do remember having a good time, but since I didn't have to drive or run a boat, all the rest is a little hazy.