Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 05-06-2010, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishamajig View Post
Not really. What the ASMFC members did was this: rather than us make the decision for the constituency, let's solicit public comment from the public BEFORE we make a decision. That is all this is about.

Dumping used motor oil in the bay would be unethical and illegal! (Plus I know you wouldn't do it!) Putting an issue of striped bass allocation before the public is a very sound democratic process!
While it may be a very democratic process. It can also be seen as a weak move too. Since the issue was voted on at the Feb ASMFC meetings, the commission representatives have had pleanty of time to gather information and feedback from their constituents to take a position on the issue. While I have high hopes of recreational angler feedback on the issue if the word gets out that the rec allocation will be taken and given to the commercial allocation, the public is not nearly as well organized or vocal. The organization and paid lobby of the commercial side is very strong and there is a better understanding of how to get things done. However, I do believe recreational organizations are getting stronger. We will have to see what happens..

I spoke with Jim Donofrio of the RFA today and expressed my concerns about how reducing the recreational allocation in order expand the commercial allocation reduces opportunities for recreational anglers.

Last edited by B-Faithful; 05-06-2010 at 05:06 PM.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishamajig View Post
Not really. What the ASMFC members did was this: rather than us make the decision for the constituency, let's solicit public comment from the public BEFORE we make a decision. That is all this is about.

Dumping used motor oil in the bay would be unethical and illegal! (Plus I know you wouldn't do it!) Putting an issue of striped bass allocation before the public is a very sound democratic process!
I don't want to sound argumentative because I know what an advocate for recreational fishing you are and I sincerely appreciate all you do. Frankly, I'm a fan of both your work on and off the water. My point is that it doesn't make sense to support the wrong side of an issue just for the sake of generating discussion. I know this is more involved and we will certainly need the future help of the states we voted with, but it still feels like a punch in the gut to recreational fishing.

"Catch & Release - A picture is worth a thousand fish"

Last edited by Shawn Kimbro; 05-06-2010 at 12:09 PM. Reason: spelling