Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 11-21-2009, 08:07 PM

Default Report: 11/21 - Long Boat Ride

The crew today was Ira and Paul (onefishinfool). Paul and his wife ML fished with me in the early summer and we only caught one fish. My goal was to have this be a better trip.

We left the dock at 8:00 and went out just east of 85A in 45’ of water and dropped lines. Since the MSSA tournament was going on and I though there would be a lot of boat traffic I decided to use the port side board only. I put four lines off the board, 2 deep boat rods with large umbrellas, 2 small umbrellas about mid depth and a wwfb line.

We got our first hit in 60’ of water on the deep rod with a chartreuse umbrella. Ira grabbed the rod but the fish came unbuttoned. We started to work our way south and got one more knockdown. We rounded the CR buoy and saw Lone Ranger and talked to him for a bit. Finally Paul got a fish on the chartreuse umbrella but it was a short so back it went. That was if for fish for the day.

We did have an adventure. In 70’ of water I looked at the bow just in time to see one of the crab line flags go down the port side of the boat. Words came out of my mouth as we all watched to see what the damage was going to be. The planer board lines made it as well as the deep lines and the wwfb. Both intermediate lines got hung on it. They were only small umbrellas so I decided to lock down the drags and break ‘em off. Paul was pulling on one rod and I on the other. The buoy went down and all of a sudden both came undone. We reeled them in to check for damage and we only lost one shad. God must have said “You got your rigs back, so no fish for you.”

Talked to Old Bird who had his own adventure, JohnnyO and Power Play. Heard Calpn Trayt out there looking for feesh.

One time Paul and I are going to go out and catch more than one fish.

Jerry
'06 Boston Whaler Conquest 235
Rhode River
Old 11-21-2009, 09:31 PM

Dang Jerry. Sounded like a tough day. Those "knockdowns" really hurt on a slow day I had a couple of near misses with pots today. Just not used to looking for them in 70 feet of water......................Mark
Old 11-22-2009, 07:11 AM

Jerry......About those Crab Pot Lines.......well....I snagged one also!I made the BIG mistake of trying to get the one line off that hung.Last week I was all proud of myself missing them by mere feet.This one was 2 milk jugs and I didn't see it until too late.

I tried to get all the lines in,Hung line is leavin' the spool as I drift.....Boat turns around a couple times.....I have Lines AND a Planer Board line wrapped around the T-Top ,under the Engine!!! Just as I get everything [Cluster F..] in the Boat....the Spool is at the end and POP! I lost it anyway!IF it happens again,I WILL just cut the line!!!!!! Almost gave up after that incident!!I Know a 1/2 dozen Boats were watching ,had to be laughin' there ass off!

I'm laughin' as I type this........now.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:32 AM

Jerry - at least it was a good day for a boat ride...that's about all we did in the river yesterday

Mark - i know what you mean...70 feet

Mike - things just have a way of evening out

170CC Proline
MSSA (NW Chapter)
Old 11-22-2009, 04:38 PM

Seems like it's been a boat-riding kind of weekend......just a tuff bite MidBay.
Sandpiper Charters www.goinsfishin.com