Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 09-16-2010, 01:50 PM

Default Planer Boards...

Hi Gang;

Glad to see more fishing reports being posted. I hope to add to them soon. Speaking of....

I am getting ready for the fall season and will be making the leap to running planer boards. I grew up in the great lakes and used to run them on my dad's Mako 25 CC when I was a kid. Cant wait to get back to it.

I like to build things and have downloaded several good designs. Before I launch off into a weekend project, I just wanted to check the used market...

Does anyone have a set of used boards they want to sell? I am not looking to buy new ones. I will make my own if I don't find a good used pair.

Thanks folks!!

Remedy (Tim)
MayCraft 2550
Old 09-16-2010, 02:38 PM

Tim; I too am looking forward to more fishing reports. The fall season is apon us. I will be trolling six rods (tandems) with tonys, small bucktails, and storm shads (as soon as the blues leave).
I don't start pulling boards until late in the season (when the big boys return). I have been watching the posts on this board and others. Does it appear the rock are more skinny than this time last year?
Last year we were catching small (22-25 inch) footballs. I hope there is enough bait (bunker) around for them to fatten up. I know there are a lot of silversides and glassminnows in the bay, I hope there are a lot of young bunker as well.
5th (Marty)
Old 09-16-2010, 03:52 PM

Why planer boards in fall? Fish are in schools, working bait, you find a school and run tight circles. can't do that w/ planer boards. I was turning 50' diameter circles on a school last weekend. Imagine trying to do that w/ 50' of planer line out on each side.....while jockying around other boats...or in the river.

Spring time fish are spread out and you need to sweep as much water as possible. Fall time fish are concentrated in schools and you need to be able to keep tight to the school.

Boards for spring/summer, in-line planers for summer/fall. 20-rod spreads for spring, 4-6 rod spread for summer/fall.

Now, I'm sure on the great lakes they run planer boards all year, but people around this here parts make fun of people running planer boards now.....
Old 09-16-2010, 05:58 PM

Tim, Planer boards work great for the fall. I can turn tighter on the with a spread too since there is less risk of tangle. I generally use them in search of big fish and not the schooled up schoolie fish though.

My good buddy Jumbo1 has them for sale. Not sure he would break out the boards from his package but you can ask./ http://www.tidalfish.com/classifieds...p?product=3813
Old 09-16-2010, 05:59 PM

Yep; 6 rod spread from now until maybe Thanksgiving. Then I do get out the planers if the migratory rock come up the bay. I will run planers on weekdays when the boat traffic is minimum.
5th (Marty)
Old 09-16-2010, 07:43 PM

Or save your money and learn to Fish???
Sorry, just kidding. I know this is a trolling board.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:00 PM

Thanks All.

I am still learning to fish the bay, having not grown up here. This is one of the few places I have lived and fished where there are so many techniques.

I started with boat trolling, then on to jigging, then to chunking, and last summer picked up live lining. Many of the guys on this board taught me those techniques and I still rely on them for help occasionally. The only technique I don't know yet (at least on the bay) is board trolling. I am adding boards to my skills in the fall, largely to practice, then to use them in the spring.

The fact that so many people have helped me learn is the best thing about this area. Thanks to all you guys...you know who you are!
Old 09-16-2010, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JigStix View Post
Or save your money and learn to Fish???
Sorry, just kidding. I know this is a trolling board.
Yes it is. Please change your name to BroomStix.
5th (Marty)
Old 09-17-2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Faithful View Post
Tim, Planer boards work great for the fall. I can turn tighter on the with a spread too since there is less risk of tangle. I generally use them in search of big fish and not the schooled up schoolie fish though.
There's less risk of a tangle anyhow b/c you're running less lines than the spring. Right?

Sorry but no way a 100' wide boat (i.e. your boat with 50' of planer lines out each side) can turn very tightly unless you're completley slacking your inner board so its dead in the water.

In the rivers where you find bigguns in the next month or so, try dragging boards. Good luck!
Old 09-17-2010, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
Yes it is. Please change your name to BroomStix.
5th (Marty)
5thTuition,
If you teach me how to troll (never done it) I will change my name just for you, as you appear to be the only useful contributor to this board!