Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 12-06-2010, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleBiology View Post
Awesome smiles!!! Thanks for teaching your kids to fish.

Jigstix..You been doing any fishing?
Sorry, I forgot to respond to your BM. Im in fl till April but I'll shoot you a msg back. But yes just not for rockfish.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:13 PM

Hey Paul, you sold me the rods that dont catch fish and kept the ones that do for yourself....not fair!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeltor View Post
Perfect response Greg.

I thought about releasing the fish but one look at my son's face told me that releasing it was not a good idea. He was/is thrilled to be able to show it off to his mom, brother at home and friends. My twins are now hooked on fishing and that is the best result of the day.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:56 PM

Thats funny Tim
The fish hit a deep, weighted umbrella. My son could not gain ground with the Penn 330 GTI so I ended up doing much of the work pumping the fish to get it closer to the boat. If we had the Tekota on board I think he could have done the job by himself. You'll see what I mean one of these days

1998 Sea Hunt 202 Triton
"Hoopty"
Old 12-07-2010, 11:17 AM

So lets start a conversation on this thread on Catch and Release since MIKIE is concerned. (unless my sarcasim detector is not reading correctly)

My question:

Is it ever wise to release a big fish that has just been towed behind the boat, winched in on a broom stick, and then picked up out of the water and measured?

If someone answers YES, Please explain to me and all the other readers how much delayed mortality is involved and how you calculate it.

For the record: When I troll I want meat. (no pun intended)
Old 12-07-2010, 12:13 PM

Trolling with heavier gear reduces the fight and stress time on the fish, therefore it is lively upon release. Most my rods are 20-30lb class gear (with 30lb mono line and a reel that maxes out at 16lbs of drag - 330gti) and my fights tend to be relatively short. Most boats troll at less than 3 knots and then cut back the throttle with a fish on. Many boats drifting on a windy day can move through the water as fast as one trolling. Trollers also use artificial lures and dont "drop back" the lure, therefore deep hook sets are rare. Releasing fish, should that be the choice of the angler, while trolling should not be any more harmful to fish than if it were caught fishing in another manor.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleBiology View Post
My question:

Is it ever wise to release a big fish that has just been towed behind the boat, winched in on a broom stick, and then picked up out of the water and measured?

If someone answers YES, Please explain to me and all the other readers how much delayed mortality is involved and how you calculate it.
Yes it is, b/c the fish has a better chance of living in the water than in your fish box.

Obviously you have the facts on "delayed mortality" (which by the way we're all subject to) so pleasse share. Even if its 99%, that 1% of fish deserves a chance to live.

C&R has obviously worked for the billfish population. Those fish go thru a lot more fighting than a rock pulled in w/ a broomstick.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:12 PM

1998 Sea Hunt 202 Triton
"Hoopty"

Last edited by reeltor; 12-08-2010 at 01:35 PM.