Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 09-02-2011, 09:33 PM

Default Lure Pricing

So we all have our favorite lures; the ones that you buy a small truckload of over your lifetime.

For me, fishing both tidal and non tidal waters, I can use a lot of the same lures in either water.

I've noticed a huge disparity in prices on some common lures sold by the "big" retailers.

For example, a Johnson's Beetlespin goes for 96 cents at Walmart.

Bass Pro: Was $1.29, and recently raised it to $1.49 I think.
Dick's: $1.69

And a local shop that I won't name was selling them for $2.99.

1/2 ounce Bill Lewis RatLtraps:
Walmart: $4.16
Dick's: $4.99
Bass Pro: ???? Can't remember
Local Shop: $6.99

I know Walmart bullies their vendors into some seriously discounted pricing, and I know the small shops don't get the volume discounts. I still use my local shop for most things as I apreciate the convenience of a 3 minute drive vs. a 30 minute drive to any of the "Big 3."

So my point isn't to ***** about pricing. I just thought it might be fun to post a few of our favorite lures and what they're going for locally and with the big stores. I respect most of you guys around here....well some of you.....at least a couple of you......, so I'd like to hear what your faves are and where I should buy them.

If I'm buying 3 or 4 RatLtraps and I know I don'tneed them for a few days....well I'll wait until I'm near one of the big stores and save myself an extra $6 to $8 or so....or maybe treat myself to an extra lure while I'm there.

I also use a LOT of Zoom 6" lizards and trick worms when I'm Largemouth and Pickerel Fishing....those always seem to be competitively priced among the big 3, and when Bass Pro is running their usual "25% off all Zom soft baits" sale I usually restock the bags pretty heavily.

And it goes without saying that I LOVE the winter time fishing flea markets and shows. I always spend a ton of money at these and I always have a great time. I think Garlien and I went to 3 or 4 this year.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:03 AM

It all boils down to volume.

If Walmart can make a dime on each item but sells 1,000 of them = $ 100.00 profit.

Local store only sells 100 but needs to add $1.00 per item to make the same $100.00.

With gas prices - as you pointed out , local stores although higher shelf price , might cost less overall if you drive far to save that dollar.

I do not look at the local tackle shop prices. I know I can get items cheaper at big box stores but view the local higher price as " dues ".

My dues buys me - early opening if needed , staying open a touch later, bait / lures left out back for after hour pick up.

Great inside info , new " hot " lures , return policy of no question asked / no receipt needed.

If we could get more folks to buy at local stores - prices would likely drop.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:27 PM

I would say 80% of my seasonal inventory comes from flea markets....

The rest comes down to convenience and how many lures I need at one time...

I do my best to support my local store....my ice, live bait, some lures, etc...all come from Fishbones, where Bud is phenominal....More often than not, Bud has lures that I can't find anywhere else or great deals on things like BKDs....

I am not the guy who buys $15.00 lures, I have more than enough luck with lures that are less than $5.00 so even if things are a few more cents there at Fishbones I try to get them there....of course if its 11:30 pm on a Saturday night and my wife sends me to Wal-Mart for toilet paper, I have to find my way to the fishing section and just pick something up....

:-)
Old 09-06-2011, 08:43 PM

So are you saying BKD's are some of your favorites?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garlien View Post
I would say 80% of my seasonal inventory comes from flea markets....

The rest comes down to convenience and how many lures I need at one time...

I do my best to support my local store....my ice, live bait, some lures, etc...all come from Fishbones, where Bud is phenominal....More often than not, Bud has lures that I can't find anywhere else or great deals on things like BKDs....

I am not the guy who buys $15.00 lures, I have more than enough luck with lures that are less than $5.00 so even if things are a few more cents there at Fishbones I try to get them there....of course if its 11:30 pm on a Saturday night and my wife sends me to Wal-Mart for toilet paper, I have to find my way to the fishing section and just pick something up....

Old 09-07-2011, 12:15 AM

Not even close, maybe someday someone will Show me how to use one of those damned things....its been almost 2 years since I have had any real success with them....

They do look pretty good in the water, and I have enough of them, if only I could catch something on them....

For now I will stick to the "secret" lures that an old freshwater fisherman that I know taught me how to use....

Old 09-07-2011, 08:45 AM

I like the BKD’s, they will catch fish and they are not all that much $. I just brought 3 still water poppers and they were $8.00 each. I make my own jig heads and I like the “H” style. If you ever need any jig heads let me know I can make them from 3/8 to 1oz and my favorite is 5/8.
Contact Info:
Backyard Custom Rods and Repairs.
(301) 898-1136 or Cell (240) 486-0007
E-Mail BCRodsandRepairs@aol.com