Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 11-17-2009, 08:56 AM

Default C&R regulatory process:

The process for the striped bass recreational catch and release regulatory changes is:

Nov. 16 – Scoping Meeting
Nov. 16-23 – Regulatory ideas will be placed on the fisheries draft page - http://www.dnr.maryland.gov/fisherie...gulations.html - and the public may provide feedback through the electronic feedback on the website or by faxing (410-260-8310) or mailing us comments (comments must be received by COB Nov. 23)
Nov. 24 – Final proposal will be submitted to AELR (legislative committee) by COB; DNR will post up what we submitted on our proposed regulations webpage - http://www.dnr.maryland.gov/fisherie...egulations.asp
Dec. 11 – proposed regulations go to the Division of State Documents to be published in the Maryland Register
Jan. 4 – proposed regulations appear in Maryland Register and public comment period begins (comments can be made by email – fisheriespubliccomment@dnr.state.md.us; by fax – 410-260-8310; or by mail)
Feb. 3 – public comment period ends
Feb. 17 – DNR can adopt proposed regulations
Feb. 26 – final decision appears in Maryland Register
March 8 – proposed regulations become effective
Old 11-17-2009, 08:58 AM

One thing that was clear from last nights scoping meeting was how low the impact is estimated as a result of this fishery. (less than 1% of the spawning biomass impacted even if every fish is killed, discards have not increased despite increased participation, etc) In my opinion it is irresponsible of the DNR to reduce access and opportunity by closing days without a clear indication that this fishery is causing a particular conservation problem. With the known science of other fisheries, the DNR has the obligation to look at other alternatives before reducing and restricting access or targeting one method of fishing given the unknowns. If DNR fears being in "crisis" management in the near future before this fishery can be looked at further, the DNR has the responsibility to act on known scientific solutions to resolve the potential problem before taking extreme action only on "concerns" by some without scientific backing! This should not be a hard issue for them.

Please comment before the 23rd here: Maryland Fisheries Service Draft Regulations

Tell them that any regulations that go beyond attempting to ensure low mortality rates is unjustified and sets a poor precedence for fisheries management! Please recommend NO DAY RESTRICTIONS or the UNJUSTIFIED targeting of one specific method of fishing. I personally will be recommending the MSSA compromise and proposal, which I believe to be more than responsible!
Old 11-17-2009, 12:37 PM

I am trying to understand Brandon's comments about this subject. He is saying that bringing a fish in by trolling can dislocate the vertebrae. I don't see how that could happen, I can understand having jaw problems but not backbone problems. People have been trolling for all sorts of species all over the world for a long time with no problems.
John
Old 11-17-2009, 01:20 PM

They are grasping at straws to justify taking away access and opportunity with a lack of science.

In my opinion it is irresponsible of the DNR to reduce access and opportunity by closing days without a clear indication that this fishery is causing a particular conservation problem. With the known science of other fisheries, the DNR has the obligation to look at other alternatives before reducing and restricting access or targeting one method of fishing given the unknowns. If DNR fears being in "crisis" management in the near future before this fishery can be looked at further, the DNR has the responsibility to act on known scientific solutions to resolve the potential problem before taking extreme action only on "concerns" by some without scientific backing!