Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 09-08-2015, 06:54 AM

Ok; so before I "F" up another project, let me ask the board this question.

My Judge has a 13 pound Danforth style anchor with about 15 ft of chain (my guess) running through a Lewmar ProFish 700 windlass. On most days, this combination works just fine.
I have only had a few instances where I wish I had more holding power; but when you want it, you need it.
When we liveline the Bridge, I let my crew fish while I remain near the wheel in case I need to start the motor if the anchor pulls free. Boat wake near the pilings makes me really anxious.
If I am in deeper water (40+ ft); I once again get nervous, even if I have sufficient scope out.

I have measured my anchor and a larger 18 pound of the same style will fit. The shaft can not be much longer or it will not fit in front of the windlass. And, the flukes can not be much longer or they will be touching the fiberglass bow.

I know I can put and extension on the pulpit (or replace the pulpit with a longer one), but I am looking for an easy fix.

My options are first; add more chain. I believe I have 1/4 inch chain running through the windlass. I can buy a connector that APPEARS will run through the windlass without problem. It is the kind that has four "tits" that you pound over to secure it in place (sea fit connecting link Mfg # 4408-40403). I can add another 15 ft of chain with this link to help hold me.

Option 2; I can purchase an 18 pound anchor (Seachoice 18#) and attach it to my existing 15 ft chain.

Option 3; I can add 15 ft chain and 18 pound anchor together.

I realize that placing the connection link between the chains will weaken the strength of the chain, but I don't think that would be a problem. What I'm trying to increase is the ability to "dig in" and "set" more quickly and "hold" more consistently.

What do you think?
5th
Old 09-08-2015, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
Ok; so before I "F" up another project, let me ask the board this question.

My Judge has a 13 pound Danforth style anchor with about 15 ft of chain (my guess) running through a Lewmar ProFish 700 windlass. On most days, this combination works just fine.
I have only had a few instances where I wish I had more holding power; but when you want it, you need it.
When we liveline the Bridge, I let my crew fish while I remain near the wheel in case I need to start the motor if the anchor pulls free. Boat wake near the pilings makes me really anxious.
If I am in deeper water (40+ ft); I once again get nervous, even if I have sufficient scope out.

I have measured my anchor and a larger 18 pound of the same style will fit. The shaft can not be much longer or it will not fit in front of the windlass. And, the flukes can not be much longer or they will be touching the fiberglass bow.

I know I can put and extension on the pulpit (or replace the pulpit with a longer one), but I am looking for an easy fix.

My options are first; add more chain. I believe I have 1/4 inch chain running through the windlass. I can buy a connector that APPEARS will run through the windlass without problem. It is the kind that has four "tits" that you pound over to secure it in place (sea fit connecting link Mfg # 4408-40403). I can add another 15 ft of chain with this link to help hold me.

Option 2; I can purchase an 18 pound anchor (Seachoice 18#) and attach it to my existing 15 ft chain.

Option 3; I can add 15 ft chain and 18 pound anchor together.

I realize that placing the connection link between the chains will weaken the strength of the chain, but I don't think that would be a problem. What I'm trying to increase is the ability to "dig in" and "set" more quickly and "hold" more consistently.

What do you think?
5th
Change the chain to 15 feet of 5/16" chain. Change the anchor size to 18 lb.
Stainless chain would look good on the Judge.

Some places with hard bottom you need the weight to set the anchor with normal scope. The chain and bigger anchor will do it.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:10 AM

I have a Lewmar pro 1000 windlass with 30' of 5/16 chain and an 18lb Super Hooker anchor. No problem holding even on a rougher day unless the bottom is very soft (silt).

Get the true Danforth anchor as the shaft of the hooker is thick and requires an initial push to fall from the roller. My previos danforth 16lb worked just as well and dropped without an initial little push. (lost the anchor over hacketts somewhere due to a failed swivel)
Old 09-08-2015, 06:45 PM

I use both butt connectors ( marine grade ) and solder - depends on where it is. Both will get heat shrink over them.

With solder - using flux is the key - plus a hot solder tip.

Once wires are hot and flux has smoked off - solder should run easily. The flux cleans the wires so solder " takes ".

Other key is right size solder - I like very thin solder for wires 14 to 18 gauge ( most common on boats ).