Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 06-28-2016, 12:16 PM

Default Prop Shop

Since repowering the boat, I've been trying to find the correct propeller. Think I finally have the right prop but need to add some pitch. I can exchange for the next size up but am being told that Power Tech props vary from prop to prop and the next size may run just like what I have depending upon who made it that day.

So, does anyone have a local prop shop to recommend? Prop is currently a 15" pitch, I can spin it to 5,200 rpm, looking to be between 4,800 and 5,000 rpm. How much roughly should I expect to pay?

Wyelife
Old 06-29-2016, 06:49 PM

Maybe try Kastel Brothers in St Mike's. They work on inboard underwater gear and are reputable. I'm assuming they can do outboard props too.
Millers island Propeller in Balt is good, fast, and cheap.
Black Dog props in Kent island does beautiful work but are probably the priciest.
Deckleman's/Long Cove Marina in Rock Hall should be able to do it too and they are a Pwertech dealer who is having a sale.

As for cost- I have an inboard with a 22x24 prop. I bent the hell out of it and Black dog fixed it for $400. I replaced it for $2200 once and I repaired it at Millers for less than $100 once. Gotta love living in the northern bay with the conawingo dam just far enough north that the logs have just enough time to barely submerge before getting to Tolchester.

Hope this helps. Know it's a lot of info, maybe the decision is made by who can get you back on the water fastest???

Old 06-30-2016, 08:05 AM

Thanks. I called Black Dog since I drive past them every day and they do not repitch stainless which seem ridiculous to me. There website is full of photos of repairs to small outboard aluminum props. You can buy those from iboats.com for less than $100, why would anyone fix one?

I bought it thru Ken at PropGods and maybe I'll just have his prop guy rework it.

Thanks for the other recommendations. I did not know about the place in St. Michaels or Rock Hall.

Aaron
Old 07-07-2016, 04:38 AM

I have used black dog to press in hubs. Also had them tune and match a set of duo props. Great work!

PSG

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Contrary to rumors you have heard: I Fish A Lot. I Don’t Catch A Lot