Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 02-07-2011, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Faithful View Post
First of all, Marty you are too funny..

Reds, Please give the COMAR codification number because I believe you are wrong.

According to the MD law (page 86 here: http://www.sha.maryland.gov/OOTS/mot...erhandbook.pdf )

The rubrail is just over 2" on each side making up a total of 4" or so. Therefore the boat itself has a beam of 8'6" with the rubrail making up the entire Judge stated 8'10" beam. The Rubrail is a "safety bumper" and I have a confirming email from the SHA. Thus, the 27 Chesapeake is legally towable.
"The maximum vehicle or vehicle combination width limit in Maryland is 102 inches (8 feet 6 inches)."

According to the MD law (page 86 here: http://www.sha.maryland.gov/OOTS/mot...erhandbook.pdf )

When you get time post the email and the person's name, position in the SHA on here. I'd like to see and confirm what you were sent.

Last edited by reds; 02-07-2011 at 07:14 AM.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:11 AM

Reds, I will keep you in suspense in regards to who sent the email because I have no obligation to share it with you and think it is more fun to not do so... Lets just say it is from a person with the term "Manager" in their title at SHA. I will gladly share the email with anyone who has or is interested in purchasing a 27 Chesapeake. (the 27cc is 102")..

Anyhow, I will help spell things out clearly

definition of Exclusive is omitting from consideration or account.

Law states:

Quote:
The width of a vehicle includes any load that it carries, but is exclusive of safety and energy conservation devices,
Law also states:
Quote:
Except for side mirrors, no other safety or energy conservation device shall extend more than 3 inches on each side of the vehicle.
here is the math:

3"+3"=6"

8'6"+6"= 9'

9'>8'10"

> is the "greater than" sign

Being that the law states:
Quote:
The maximum vehicle or vehicle combination width limit in Maryland is 102 inches (8 feet 6 inches).
Dont let short term memory get to you as it is exclusive of safety devices or even other factory bolt-on items through this example in the law

Quote:
The width of a motor home or travel trailer shall be exclusive of retractable awnings installed by the vehicle manufacturer or dealer, provided that the awnings do no extend more than 6 inches from each side of the vehicle.
Therefore, since 8'6"+6"= 9', 9'>8'10", and the Judge 27 Chesapeake has a stated 8'10" beam that includes its safety bumper, the boat is legally trailerable on Maryland roadways, with the exception of where posted otherwise.

Between the email and the law.... I would love to be stopped and challenged.

Last edited by B-Faithful; 02-07-2011 at 12:12 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Reds, I will keep you in suspense in regards to who sent the email because I have no obligation to share it with you and think it is more fun to not do so... Lets just say it is from a person with the term "Manager" in their title at SHA. I will gladly share the email with anyone who has or is interested in purchasing a 27 Chesapeake. (the 27cc is 102")..

Anyhow, I will help spell things out clearly

definition of Exclusive is omitting from consideration or account.

Law states:

Law also states:

here is the math:

3"+3"=6"

8'6"+6"= 9'

9'>8'10"

> is the "greater than" sign

Being that the law states:

Dont let short term memory get to you as it is exclusive of safety devices or even other factory bolt-on items through this example in the law

Therefore, since 8'6"+6"= 9', 9'>8'10", and the Judge 27 Chesapeake has a stated 8'10" beam that includes its safety bumper, the boat is legally trailerable on Maryland roadways, with the exception of where posted otherwise.

Between the email and the law.... I would love to be stopped and challenged.
Next time you want information on laws, talk to somebody who enforces them. Not some women office manager that you tell half truths to, so she tells you what you want to hear.

Per Maryland DOT State Police.

The maximum width of a vehicle or trailer is 8'6" on dual highways with out a permit, period.

The exception, for extra width, you are claiming as a safety feature(rub rails), applies to the vehicle, not the cargo. The cargo in this case, is the boat.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:31 PM

ultimately it is a judge that interprets the laws. I think the law is pretty clear.

maybe you should have md police put tracking devices on our boats

Last edited by B-Faithful; 02-07-2011 at 03:43 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:01 PM

Here is Shawn cruising down the road the other day. I was pulling my over-width Parker
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011-02-05_11-41-45_297.jpg (15.4 KB, 33 views)

An all composite modern way to build a boat!
Old 02-07-2011, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reds View Post
Next time you want information on laws, talk to somebody who enforces them. Not some women office manager that you tell half truths to, so she tells you what you want to hear.

Per Maryland DOT State Police.

The maximum width of a vehicle or trailer is 8'6" on dual highways with out a permit, period.

The exception, for extra width, you are claiming as a safety feature(rub rails), applies to the vehicle, not the cargo. The cargo in this case, is the boat.
I guess this means you will not be at the open house for judge yachts???? We are gonna miss you very much.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:47 PM

The last time I saw a photo like that it was taken by a red light camera. :-)

For the record, I routinely trailer over the Bay Bridge, Key Bridge, Perryville Bridge, and once across the Bridge Tunnel and my boat always passed the 8' 6" requirement. This boat trailers with my half ton better than my 16' jon boat. My biggest worry isn't width, it's speed since I sometimes forget it's back there.

"Catch & Release - A picture is worth a thousand fish"
Old 02-08-2011, 07:21 AM

Quote:
First of all, Marty you are too funny..

Reds, Please give the COMAR codification number because I believe you are wrong.

The rubrail is just over 2" on each side making up a total of 4" or so. Therefore the boat itself has a beam of 8'6" with the rubrail making up the entire Judge stated 8'10" beam. The Rubrail is a "safety bumper" and I have a confirming email from the SHA. Thus, the 27 Chesapeake is legally towable.
Bumpers are "Front" and/or "Rear"
Old 02-08-2011, 04:38 PM

Default Open House?

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplay View Post
I guess this means you will not be at the open house for judge yachts???? We are gonna miss you very much.

NO BBQ For him
Old 02-10-2011, 05:44 PM

Just more BBQ for me!

An all composite modern way to build a boat!