Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 02-28-2010, 04:58 PM

Default Funny story about spot burning

I know giving out too much info is a touchy subject perhaps this will shed some light on so called secret spots.

About 4 years ago in fall - a charter captain called me and asked if I could go scuba diving to retrieve his anchors. Seems he had lost four of them over the summer fishing a small wreck that no one knows about.

Now tell a diver about a little known wreck and he'll have a woody for a week

I agreed to go but he wanted to do the dive at night so no one would see. Diving in the bay is tricky - diving the bay at night is even worse. Diving a new location at night - borderline. I asked if we could go late evening rather then at night and he said OK.

Had to wait a few days to get a slack tide about an hour before sunset. Once we got to the site - he showed it to me on the finder. Sticks up off bottom about 3 feet in 30 feet of water. Dragged a grapple and hooked up tight. Over I go and soon found two of his anchors. Brought them up and went back for more. Found three this trip and brought them up. His mate just about broke his back hauling them in.

I was ready to climb back in but they said none of these were his
I thought they were teasing me but they were serious. I went back down and found four more but only one was his. So much for this being a secret spot.

Over the years - I dive that wreck 5-6 times a year. To date I've found about 45 anchors on it.

The captain still claims only a few people know about it - I don't say too much to disagree. I did find his other anchors the next year.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:19 PM

Now that IS funny....

As big as the bay is, we're not the only ones that have ever fished it....

Old 02-28-2010, 05:48 PM

People will eventually find the large congregations of fish. Some guys find them first, and some guys find those guys. Now is it right for the guy that found the other guys to blab the original guys spot. Did he find the fish or the boats. Now the original guy has to go out and find a different pod of fish so he doesn't have to deal with all the idiots. This is the game some of us play all season long.
Old 02-28-2010, 06:42 PM

Now that is funny as he## and by the way I think I lost an anchor on the same wreck
Contact Info:
Backyard Custom Rods and Repairs.
(301) 898-1136 or Cell (240) 486-0007
E-Mail BCRodsandRepairs@aol.com
Old 02-28-2010, 07:54 PM

That's like going hunting with some one and he tells you that we are the only ones hunting this property. You get in your stand and a short time later you hear guns going off all around you.............close