Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 12-14-2009, 05:31 PM

Default Last Trip for 09 still successful

Many thanks to Marty 5th tuition was invited on his boat today for the last trip for this season. Myself Marty Lou and Herman the shop chief for me at work who doesn't get many chances to get out on the bay fishing. I can't give to many details due to Marty will be posting shortly. Mark Baldzilla I just have to get you ready for Marty's post the only hint I can give is if you think hes bad with a net don't let him put your biggest fish you ever caught in the cooler ROTFLMFAO
Old 12-14-2009, 06:15 PM
Baldzilla

Alan,
Thanks for the call..Marty, he just could not wait...I can't wait to hear your end of the story!!!
Old 12-14-2009, 06:26 PM

Ok; now that Alan (justchillin) has wet your appitite; here's the real story. Left Ches. Beach on a low tide around 7:30 this morning. We were worried about the posibility of fog; but none to be found. The plan for today was to run south to red 80 and drop lines. Ziz zag south to 78A, 78, and wind up by the CP buoy. We kept a sharp lookout for birds in the air or bait on the finder. Just south of 78A we found lots of bait (but deep). We were in 80 ft of water and bait was thick from 60 to 80 ft. Although we couldn't reach it, we decided to make a couple passes over it and hoped it would eventually rise. We picked up one nice fish (38) and were convinced to stay with it. A couple passes later we saw a few birds working on the eastern side of the channel, made pass over that spot and picked up two nice ones (38,39). Somewhere along the line we also picked up a spunky 22 inch fish on a 9 in shad. We usually don't keep many fish, but Alan's friend hadn't been out since the spring season, so he wanted fish for the winter. We only had room for one more over and as we were bringing in lines; the farthest to the board popped. Line was out 150 ft and down the board 140 ft.. I handed the rod down to Alan's buddy; and he proceded to reel in another nice fish. With three overs and one under in the box, I asked if he wanted to keep this one or toss it back. He wanted it so I carried it forward to the cooler; opened the top; placed it on top of the others; and before I could close the lid; it flipped it's tail, jumped out of the box, and slid over the side of the boat.
I look at it as poetic justice that the last fish of the season looked at a cooler full of fish and said FU and jumped back into the water to live and spawn next spring. Herman didn't see it that way, but we were 9 miles south of Ches. Beach and he couldn't swim that far, even with the wind and tide in his favor.
Got back to the ramp, cleaned the four fish in the box, and headed home. We now have two stories to last all winter. Me trying to net a fish off Mark's (baldzilla) boat and having his 50# braid break; and now, having our last fish give us a sly wink as he flipped over the side and splashed into the cold waters of the Chesapeake Bay.
To anyone headed out tomorrow; best of luck. I think Alan may buy me a fish "billy club" for Christmas. 5th (Marty)
Old 12-14-2009, 08:12 PM

Marty...that is a great story. Seems like you are quite the conservationist, what with your own special version of catch and release going.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:38 PM

Marty in all seriousness thanks for the invite I'm glad we met and became fishing buddies. Every trip with you wether its my boat your boat or someone elses we always have a fun and eventful trip. Herman said he really enjoyed fishing today and wasn't upset about the fish. I think his biggest worry was if his fish were as big as Rodneys when we took him out lol. I told him they won't be able to tell from the pictures yours looks just as big as Rodneys fish did. lol See you guys at Bill Batemans Monday as long as the weather doesn't require me to work!
Old 12-14-2009, 08:50 PM

I think the real question here is where did Marty get a boat to use for the day? Baldzilla still swears he doesn't have one.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:50 PM

Too funny Marty!!! We'll have to get together next spring. I'll make sure to make it a C&R trip since you seem to throw everything back one way or another..............................Mark
Old 12-14-2009, 09:40 PM

All I can say is, when you go with me, it's a real experience. Not only do we catch fish; but you get stories to last a lifetime. Picked up a couple of nice new friends to fish with this year, and met baldzilla too. 5th (Marty)
Old 12-14-2009, 09:54 PM

Great report Marty and glad you guys picked up some nice fish. We gave it a full day just to your south, but seems the bait has decided to stay in mid-bay for now....Don
Old 12-16-2009, 01:30 PM

nice report & story!

glad you got out and got a few before the season ended.

170CC Proline
MSSA (NW Chapter)