Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 05-19-2014, 08:29 PM

Default Monday 5/19

Better than expected. Sunday evening started with phone calls to Captain Charlie Schneider and Captain Tawn Tipsword. I had my buddy from Hancock going out with me and I wanted to catch him some fish The third angler was Mr Sunshine (Lou)

Both Captains had the same bad news, big fish were quickly disappearing, downsize your baits. My plan was to run south as far as possible to try to catch up with a couple trophies. We left CB at 6am and ran all the way down to the Gas Docks before dropping lines. I put out the full spread with only a few remaining 9 inch shads. Wind and tide were against each other and made for a sloppy morning. Water quality was very good down that far. We tried 45-75 ft looking for a straggler trophy. The small umbrella back 200 with no weight sang. My friend picked up the rod and EVENTUALLY brought a nice 36 to the boat. While he was fighting the fish, he asked if I had a belt onboard. I told him sure, I always had one ready for the ladies The fish liked taking drag and my buddy would gain 20 ft and lose 10 I told him to get the fish in before the hook rusted!! When we dipped the fish, he flopped back into a deck chair (no not the fish).
The 10/10 umbrella (lg umbrella 10 ounces back 10 bars) bounced and continued to thump, thump, thump. A 23 in. under went in the box.
Then a long dry spell (2 hours). I had been working my way north and kept seeing three charters working shallow water off Flag Harbor. With nothing working on my plan A, it was time for plan B.
We worked our way into 35-37 ft. The finder lit up and two rods went down. A 25 came onboard, the 19 went back over. Swung around and went back through and another keeper came over the gunnels.
Not the trophies we were looking for, but good eating fish. Wait, what was that splashing, could it be, yes it was, breaking fish this is the earliest I remember seeing breaking fish. They were small, but keepers mixed in. We had one trophy and four nice mid twenty fish, when a deep umbrella 20 ounces back 50 ft started taking drag. Both my buddies looked toward me, and I brought in the final 32 inch fat rockfish.
We brought 10 fish to the boat and kept the best 6 for a fish fry in Hancock
The ride back to CB showed breaking fish in 37 ft all the way from Flag Harbor to Parker's Creek!! We also had to dodge lumber from an outgoing tide I was not always successful, but slowed enough to avoid damage.
I'm soon off to bed, fish were left biting. Back at it tomorrow, any guesses where we are headed?
5th
P.S. no fish caught off board lines. All caught off boat rods with the 10/10 rod being the hottest. Storm Shads or Captain John's Spoons would have been the lures of choice, but I didn't have any rigged and ready this early in the season But tomorrow........
Old 05-20-2014, 05:12 AM

Thanks for the report Marty. Good luck tomorrow. I'll be having fun in the office
That's cool about the breaking fish this early. Get the jigging rods out.

bhl (Bruce)
Old 05-20-2014, 05:33 AM

Way to put the effort in and find some fish for your friend. Sounds like he is glad the big boys have mostly moved out, a second one may have killed the ol' boy.

Marg will be very happy to hear the boards didn't produce. She can't wait to get "those damns things" off the boat and the rods that go with them.

Good luck today!

Old 05-20-2014, 07:06 AM

Good move going south, Marty... I was out 8-5 yesterday near 86 and got 2 overs and an under, and 1 hard knockdown. Only one came from a board rod. The big fish of the day was 38".
Old 05-20-2014, 03:55 PM

What the hell is " drag " ?
Old 05-20-2014, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
What the hell is " drag " ?
It's what trollers do to their fish behind the boat
5th
Old 05-20-2014, 06:55 PM

Glad you got on them Marty.

Shawn and I are going down Thursday to take off the boards and to tie up a bunch of Storm baits. Will be running 10 boat rods from here on until the spot show up.

We have trips Saturday and Monday...if we get our rockfish early, we are going to try perch fishing off Holland Point....I gotta find my Fish-Off-Glove!!

Come on Spot Fish!!!
Old 05-21-2014, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawn View Post
Glad you got on them Marty.

Shawn and I are going down Thursday to take off the boards and to tie up a bunch of Storm baits. Will be running 10 boat rods from here on until the spot show up.

We have trips Saturday and Monday...if we get our rockfish early, we are going to try perch fishing off Holland Point....I gotta find my Fish-Off-Glove!!

Come on Spot Fish!!!
Tawn,
FYI, we went back to the same area with Lou's boat. After my success with 6" parachutes, Lou downsized 6 rods with storm shads/sunami's and spoons. The fish were there and still breaking, but all we picked up were 16 inch fish
I suspect that my parachutes, even though 6inches, were just a tad too big for the smaller fish. I can't confirm this, but you might want to take some 6 inch parachutes just in case you get "covered up" with small fish.
We had plenty of fish from yesterday, so we took a ride to the Eastern Shore to see what was happening over there.
Now if you had difficulty believing that there were breaking fish this early in the bay, you probably won't believe this either. There were about 5 charters at Stone Rock looking for Drum I could see a half a crab dangling from their lines while they searched and drifted over the area.
We never saw one caught. I suspect it's too early, but people are looking. Perhaps they caught their limit of rock and went looking for drum to fill out the day.
So best of luck to Tawn (and anyone else headed out). I believe I have taken my last "trailered" trip. I have had a great spring. Running from SP and CB. It's time to take the sailboat trip to Martha's Vineyard with my Pastor and then put her in the slip when I get home.
I'll be looking for spot when I get back (unless one of you find them first). Livelinning will be under way soon. Tawn and I need to build my livewell soon
5th