Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 04-22-2018, 07:38 PM

Default Opening Weekend

Twas the night before opening day any all through the house not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse.

All of the leaders were new, the hooks were sharp and Dad’s barbies were combed, ready for the big start.

The alarm went off, the ice was acquired and for that special treat day fritters were bought.

The kids were excited for the dirty radio air and the smell of fresh rockfish would surely be there!

Yeah, I’m out of creativity. I spent 5-6 hours in the ships and down south of TPL on Saturday. The stinky guy stayed in my box. Thankfully my kids had sports Sunday and I could not fish.

I saw a couple of folks that are on this board run past me, some going north and others going south, hope y’all did better.

Let’s hear some reports...

Old 04-22-2018, 07:44 PM

All my sources were fish-less in the morning; so I went out around 11:30 and headed south from Deale. Put three hours of trolling in near the Power Plant without even a sniff of my lures

I too stayed home on Sunday (today); but didn't hear of a better bite
5th
Old 04-22-2018, 10:11 PM

Saturday fished from the old gas bouy to South of the Choptank with nothing to show for it . It was a great weather day but an awful catching day . Not fishing until next Saturday I hope the water warms a bit .
Old 04-23-2018, 05:54 AM

Fished above the bridge Sunday with nothing to show for 4 hours of trolling. The big excitement of the day was a dolphin keeping pace with my port planer board. The women thought that was worth the trip !! We did manage 3 plastic bags when we pulled lines. Water was a bit trashy.

27 Judge "HOOK 'EM"
bhl (Bruce)
Old 04-23-2018, 07:53 AM

We got skunked on Saturday but did see two boats catch each other. I hoped that if we put in the time we could muster up something. So we went back out on Sunday with a couple friends. At 9:30 we were all in the deck bull****ting when I saw the clip pop. I set the hook and drag and handed the rod to one of the friends. This girl is 5’2”. She fought the fish for a bit and wanted to tag someone else in a couple times but she stuck it out and was rewarded with a nice 50” fish. Biggest we have caught on my PARKER, sorry Judge yacht guys. The excitement on deck more than made up for the 60 gallons of fuel I burned this weekend. It’s also gonna be a tough record for us to beat. Caught it on green head with pink eyes and a 6” white shad body tandem, 100’ off the boards. We were at the bottom side of the triple buoys in 33’ of water. I’ll try and add a video of her trying to hold it when I get a chance.

Last edited by No Ragrets; 04-23-2018 at 07:57 AM. Reason: Added another photo
Old 04-23-2018, 09:13 AM

Pretty work Steve welcome to the 50” club!
Old 04-23-2018, 01:31 PM

I fished Saturday in the BPL area. I called my passengers to tell them that the preseason bite I had died. However they said they always catch fish with me and wanted to go. They said if the bite was slow they would have beer.

Well we did catch fish. However it was menhaden. We snagged 5 of them. My party also had their beer and decided they would eat their catch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgZ39Apy7DA

It was pretty crowded.

and there was lots of bait

Old 04-23-2018, 04:57 PM

I went down to the boat today to comb out lures and prep for two days of rain
While I was there, I walked down to Happy Harbor to watch the morning charters return.
The only boat with fish this morning was the Miss Ashleigh with two Every one else was skunked.
Five charters observed averaging 10 people each.
50 anglers, 2 caught fish
5th
Old 04-23-2018, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Ragrets View Post
We got skunked on Saturday but did see two boats catch each other. I hoped that if we put in the time we could muster up something. So we went back out on Sunday with a couple friends. At 9:30 we were all in the deck bull****ting when I saw the clip pop. I set the hook and drag and handed the rod to one of the friends. This girl is 5’2”. She fought the fish for a bit and wanted to tag someone else in a couple times but she stuck it out and was rewarded with a nice 50” fish. Biggest we have caught on my PARKER, sorry Judge yacht guys. The excitement on deck more than made up for the 60 gallons of fuel I burned this weekend. It’s also gonna be a tough record for us to beat. Caught it on green head with pink eyes and a 6” white shad body tandem, 100’ off the boards. We were at the bottom side of the triple buoys in 33’ of water. I’ll try and add a video of her trying to hold it when I get a chance.
Go BIG or go home!! Nice work Captain!! (Particularly for a Parker....)

Old 04-24-2018, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Ragrets View Post
Beautiful fish. Way to go.

27 Judge "HOOK 'EM"
bhl (Bruce)