Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 04-05-2012, 06:40 PM

Default I hate barbless hooks.

Went out Thursday morning and had 3 pull downs. Got one fish to the boat and it got away, the other ywo got away half way to the boat. I was just south of the bridge and it was rough. Did not run the planner board, just ran 4 lines off the boat. Going to try again Monday.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola Marlene View Post
Went out Thursday morning and had 3 pull downs. Got one fish to the boat and it got away, the other ywo got away half way to the boat. I was just south of the bridge and it was rough. Did not run the planner board, just ran 4 lines off the boat. Going to try again Monday.
We've had a few get off this year and I can blame a couple on the hooks, but at least a few were simply from the fish short striking the lure and barely getting the hook in the corner of its lip. Of course it's a whole lot easier to release the fish too.

At least you got to see one of your fish.

I'm about 50/50 on a love/hate relationship with barbed hooks right now. On one hand I've lost a few fish, and on the other hand....well I caught my other hand pretty damned good with a barbed hook last year.

Here's an old thread about it, and some good advice on removal of hooks:

http://www.cbangler.com/showthread.php?t=1428
Old 04-05-2012, 08:15 PM

With the restrictions disallowing stinger hooks and requiring barbless hooks, it can be tough to keep them hooked up. Think of it as a quick release. I consider any knock downs as a fish that would have been boated had I had my stuff rigged as normal.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:52 AM

I agree that we lose a few fish to barbless hooks, but I got to agree that its a "good thing" using them right now. It is so much easier unhooking and releasing. Only rarely does a fish need to come onboard. Allmost all can be released in the water very easily without a barb. Try this........I have been telling my guest that when reeling in a fish, keep the rod tip up and just reel steadily. Do not allow them to "pump" the rod as this will lead to more "short releases" due to a little slack in the line. It only takes a little slack for a "quick release". Good luck.................................Mark
Old 04-06-2012, 09:06 AM

Mlag; good suggestion. All the fish boated on Patent Pending this season had the hook slip out very easily.
Keep preasure on the line and you will increase your C/R success.

Bill; I know your daughter fishes with you a lot. You can keep the rod in the gunnel and just let her crank the handle.

It's well worth losing a couple fish with barbless hooks this time of the year. All fish released so far have left throwing water with their tails and swimming off strong.

5th (Marty)
Old 04-06-2012, 10:02 AM

I think you miss more fish due to the lack of stingers than going barbless. However that is no big deal to me in the preseason.

It is amazing how hard some fish will strike without a hook in their mouth. Last week we had a fish hit a teaser on an umbrella so hard that it popped a number 64 rubberband and ripped the teaser shad off the frame.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:02 PM

Two years ago - I would have agreed with you.

Now , I have no trouble with barbless hooks. In fact - once kill season starts , I leave my PSCR lures out - as is. They're catching fine - why change ?

I like how the shads have more action without a stinger hook.

Few tips - if you have knock downs but fish misses , try bumping speed up about 1/2 knot. Yes - increase the speed a touch. Going too slow let's fish hit but not get hooked.

Limber tip rods help keep tension on the hook and keeping rod at a 10 to 11 o'clock position is key. Avoid dropping rod tip fast when pumping a fish - this allows slack.

Once hooked up - slow the boat to about 2 knots. This takes some pressure off the hook. Often a barely hooked fish will get away if you maintain speed.
Good for fish and the angler to slow a touch.

Be sure to sharpen your hooks - even on new lures. Few come from store sharp enough ( IMHO ). I've bought some that had mushed points - likely from hanging on display rack. Even in packages - new lures need a kiss from a file.

If using umbrellas - accept some fish will hit the hookless teasers. Nothing you can do there - other then not use them.

Believe me or not but a barbless hook goes into a fish easier. It is thinner then a barbed hook.

Keep drags tight - should be tough to pull line off reel by hand. If 30 to 34 inchers are making drag scream - IMHO - too loose. A few clicks is OK but not ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

You can also use 7 or 8 inch shads. Just cut 1 or 2 inches from a 9 incher. Some guys even use regular 6 inchers but I like a large profile lure.

Be sure you comb the hair out carefully. Matted parachutes do not get hit as much and if they do - matted hair can cause misses.

Stingers or not - you'll miss some fish , just part of the game.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:35 AM

I was just saying that i hate barbless hooks , because we missed 3 fish. I dont mind fishing with them, its better for the fish. Thanks for the tips guys, I appreciate them. Now if the winds would quit. LOL
Old 04-08-2012, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola Marlene View Post
I was just saying that i hate barbless hooks , because we missed 3 fish. I dont mind fishing with them, its better for the fish. Thanks for the tips guys, I appreciate them. Now if the winds would quit. LOL
Aint that the truth.

I guess we're getting our "March Winds" a little later as payback for getting the May temperatures so early.