Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Gear, Tackle, Electronics

Old 02-29-2012, 08:52 PM

Default Anyone ever replace their rod guide inserts?

I have one missing on a favorite bass rod and I'd hate to toss the rod because of it. It's not a particularly expensive rod, but it's one of my favorites and landed me close to 100 Largemouth on a trip to Mexico's Lake El Salto 2 years ago.

Pretty sure it's just a cheap aluminum oxide insert.

I've read that people seem about 50/50 on whether to replace the insert or have the entire guide replaced. Replacing the guide might cost more than the rod is worth, at least financially. The sentimental value though....and the fact that I am VERY good at catching fish with this rod would probably make it worth it.

Thoughts? Experiences?
Old 03-01-2012, 04:36 PM

Replacing a guide is not hard to do yourself.

Remove the old one by carefully cutting the thread. I use a razor blade held flat along the rod.

Once guide is off - you buy one that matches. Anglers keeps fair amount in stock.

You can buy thread to match existing. Tape one foot of guide on rod - then wrap the other one. You'll work up to the guide - this let's thread climb onto foot nicely. Going the other way often leaves a gap.

Do the other side - check it is in line - then finish with clear nail polish , 2-3 light coats. Might not be as nice as factory but will work.

Heck , I once fished a rod with guides taped on by thin strips of duct tape.

Other option is George Pavlik 410 255-2540 in Pasadena. He'll match it perfect and I find his prices very reasonable.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
Replacing a guide is not hard to do yourself.

Remove the old one by carefully cutting the thread. I use a razor blade held flat along the rod.

Once guide is off - you buy one that matches. Anglers keeps fair amount in stock.

You can buy thread to match existing. Tape one foot of guide on rod - then wrap the other one. You'll work up to the guide - this let's thread climb onto foot nicely. Going the other way often leaves a gap.

Do the other side - check it is in line - then finish with clear nail polish , 2-3 light coats. Might not be as nice as factory but will work.

Heck , I once fished a rod with guides taped on by thin strips of duct tape.

Other option is George Pavlik 410 255-2540 in Pasadena. He'll match it perfect and I find his prices very reasonable.
Thanks Skip. I'll give it a try...only real way to learn I guess.

Good to have George's number to bail me out if I butcher it up too badly.
I've replaced a lot of rod tips while out on the water. A few of my 7' rods are probably down to 6'8 now after a few new tips have gone on, and been broken off again.