Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 02-26-2011, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakesdad View Post
So thats 20 cents off, add the five cents off, that's 25 cents per gallon. My tank holds 22. So for the sake of argument, 20 gallons times 25 cents. Save 5 bucks.... .
so things are looking up - how much would you have to buy to save enough for that new boat?

Last edited by Southerly; 02-26-2011 at 07:06 AM.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakesdad View Post
I don't have to respond to every thread, I don't have to respond to every thread, I don;t have to respond to every thread.. oh WTF.....

How we all forget, " The Bush Years".....
And in fairness, from 2006 on Democrats controlled Congress.

Prices tanked at the 2008 elections and now they're going right back up.

Your chart leaves out other worldwide contributing factors for either the prior or current administration.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:31 PM

Blakesdad, Thank you for the chart. It clearly shows (almost to the day) that when Obama got sworn in as president, George Bush had oil way down in price. But as soon as Obama got sworn into office the price started going up and has not stopped. In fairness I will not say it is all Obamas' fault. It is half Obamas' fault and the other half was his Demo. controlled congress!.

Not starting a Demo. vs. GOP war but that's how I see it. Bob
Old 02-26-2011, 03:32 PM

I won't get into that war either, however, if an explanation is that simple its like getting something for free, you are missing something, so here are a few things folks are missing....

1> When the economy tanked in November of 2008 the Opec nations had to reduce prices because not only was gasoline being bought at historic lows but all products that depended on crude (like plastics, energy prodcution non-gas, synthetics, etc..) grinded to a production halt. Without "artificiallly" lowering the price of oil to where it should not have been, these products would not have been able to recover and would have hurt Opec nations future sales.

2> Stocks began an historic rise from 2008 to the present. If you watch the high and low dips with the market, oil for once did not have an inverse relationship with stocks...For that matter if you look at the macro-economics all types of investment commodities (oil, gold, silver), stocks (public and private), as well as personal savings and 401K deposit rates have all grown at rates never seen before. This is an anomally that will not continue...Gold will stabalize, oil prices will retreat to the mid to high 80's, people will begin to consume more and save less.....

3> If you take a closer look at that chart...You see the mean price of gas, during these turbulent times is around 2.80....Although I would like it to be lower, with inflation over the years that is probabaly about where it should be....If the price is around mid 80 per barrell, then gas will fall back into that 2.80 range...

4> Take a longer look than 60 months....More like 10 or 20 years....You will notice similar dips and spikes like 2008 however long term the chart looks very much the same, if you take out the complete abberations like the 6 months ending 2008. It has pretty much risen with inflation...Take the outliers out (the top and botton 10 to 20% spikes) and the charts pretty much rise with inflation, GDP, the Dow, and personal income over the last 10 to 20 years...

5> We need our politicians (republicans and democrats) to do a better job with our "allies"....How many of you know that our largest source of oil imports is actually from Canada ? Mexico is number 2 ? Britian is 9 ? Brazil and Venezuala are 10 and 4 ? The truth is out of the top 10 countries we import oil from 3, maybe 4 could be called middle eastern....I say its not repubs and dems but the system as a whole...We support the countries day in and day out and yet they (our non middle eastern allies) are the ones making us pay more at the pump...

6> I know I am forgetting a ton of factors, but I think we all need to understand there is more than 1, 2, or 3 sides to any story...This is a perfect example...Too many factors policitcal, environmental, social, economic, etc...play into this equation to "blame" any one area...In the end, it just sucks for all of us.....

Finally, please forgive any notion that I may know anything about this at all...I am not that smart, don't catch enough fish, and I still looking for a beer today...I will go back to my "normal" self now....

Good luck if any of you get out this weekend !
Old 02-26-2011, 07:21 PM

Our own oil companies right here in USA are raping us too. Exxon/ Mobil has had the highest profit margin of any company in the history of free enterprise............Gary
Old 02-26-2011, 09:32 PM

So true forgot about that...All this BS and Exxon blows profits out like no one ever has...Then they cry about it....
Old 02-27-2011, 10:28 AM

Download Gasbuddy.com on your phone..
Put in your zip code and ponder.
Its AMAZING the price disparages.

I was in Bethesda, this morning Democracy and Westlake. 3.99 for premo...
Old 03-01-2011, 08:37 AM

Mr. Garlien - I really like your post; it is sensible and makes me feel optimistic and good. in fact, there's a little bird chirping outside my window and it's a sunny morning. and anyone that likes to feel good, should stop reading now. For the rest, get a tall glass of Drano ready,...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peak_oil
Old 03-01-2011, 02:04 PM

I’m considering getting a 25 to 27 foot WA at some point, but part of what will prevent me from pulling the trigger is gas prices. My 21 CC drinks enough gas as it is, but is a gas sipper compared to some vessels.

I think that Market conditions drive gas prices more that who’s in office by and large with very few exceptions. Obama did threaten to cripple the oil and gas industry with his cap and trade nonsense, but we beat him back.

Quote:
So if somebody wants to build a coal-powered plant, they can; it's just that it will bankrupt them because they're going to be charged a huge sum for all that greenhouse gas that's being emitted.

Read more: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/p-j-gla...#ixzz1FNLThDdN
I don’t think cap and trade will see the light of day, the American people are too smart to allow that to happen. What I am more concerned with is the Middle East exploding and turning the markets on their heads. I’m so much as concerned about who is in office doing what or bad policy being put in place as I am about overall market conditions driven by world events.

I don't want to buy a boat only to not be able to afford to run it on account of Jihad Johnny and his merry band of towel headed Taliban getting cute with some Kalashnikovs and C4 in some far off land...
Old 03-01-2011, 03:58 PM

3.39 for regular today. Unfortunately my truck seems to average in the 16's no matter how i drive it. (9-10 when towing) Foruntately fishing in my back yard is about to heat up

Last edited by B-Faithful; 03-01-2011 at 04:43 PM.