Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 05-18-2013, 04:37 AM

Default Who Woody Waxes their deck?

Sorry, sounds like a personal question I know I have some folks that hate to troll and are begging me to go chumming. I hate the mess but mainly the smell associated with chum. Nothing like eating a sandwich 2 days later and still smelling chum on your hands! I was thinking about WW the floor and washboards but remember Bill Judge saying something about almost sending his dad out on a stretcher when he jumped aboard the boat after waxing. Any of you guys use this stuff? Maybe Bill J just doesn't know enough about boats to do the job right?? (OR maybe his dad jumped on before the final rinse, I don't exactly remember.... )

Old 05-18-2013, 01:07 PM

I use it and love it. Used it on the previous boat and on this one as well. I think the main thing is not to use too much.
With your deck/gunnel as clean as possible, wet them with a hose. Put a small puddle of woody wax/fluid film on the deck and using your deck brush spread it wherever you want it. Let it dry, then rinse it off with a strong stream from the hose.
You do have to be "sure footed", especially when stepping on the gunnel in the morning with dew or frost.
You may still get some stains from chumming, but we will turn you into a liveliner soon enough.
Troll Capt Johns spreader bars until the spot get here in catchable numbers. Chum on Greg's boat
5th
Old 05-18-2013, 07:09 PM

Chum on Greg's boat

Great idea!! Why didn't I think of that?? Or yours???

Old 05-18-2013, 08:09 PM

Although WW makes a product for non-skid decks, it still has "wax" in the product name. Not sure if I'd want to put anything o a deck which may make it slicker.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:37 PM

I really want to throw a waxing metaphor in here....

A couple of things that I do that seem to make chumming a little less messy on the deck. I i leave the chum in the bucket I bought it in and then throw it in the chum bag that way is isn't a freaking slop ball when I bring it in the boat. Also, I'm sure you already do this but I keep an empty 5 gallon bucket on the deck for containment. To keep your hands clean have a friend run the chum bag.

Brad
Old 05-20-2013, 08:03 AM

Jeff, you can woody wax as fast or slow as you want its yours Seriously though, I like using the non-skid deck cleaner with PTEF that Starbrite makes. I find it helps from having stains set in too bad and I'm leary about waxing walking surfaces. The big thing is to keep the hose handy
Old 05-20-2013, 10:05 AM

I have no problem slinging chum.. That is what bleach is for!
Old 05-21-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Faithful View Post
I have no problem slinging chum.
And THAT is the real problem, it's not so much the deck, as I do keep the hose handy and use it often, but somehow chum seems to end up all over the place because people need to cast back to "where the fish are waiting". Guts go flying everywhere!!
I do like the idea of someone else working the chum bag . I used to buy chum in a 4gal square bucket (kitty litter was in it originally I think). I made a floating bucket holder out of a milk crate and PVC. Cut a hole in the lid and could flip bucket right side up and pull in the boat to move. It worked well and I still have it I think but can't get the square buckets of chum anymore. The guy would dump a flat of frozen buggy into a woodchipper to "grind" it!! Makes me think of the movie Fargo

Old 05-22-2013, 01:50 PM

Your boat is just too pretty and new Jeff... Give it a few years and a bunch of hours. The advantage to your nice dark hull is that chum stains dont show on the sides as easily