Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 11-26-2012, 10:13 AM

Default Umbrella's and Rainbows

Well; umbrella's and rainbows sure seem to go together, but these umbrella's were wire with shassy shads attached to them. Saturday, November 24th was a very windy day. The forcast called for 20mph winds and gusts to 30. We called our party the night before and offered them a different day, but they had come from Pittsburg Pa. to have Thanksgiving with some relative in the area and couldn't rebook.

I got to the boat at 5:30am to get all the tackle ready and the big flag at Herrington harbor was ripping. I took out my bibs from my backpack and changed into them. The party arrived about 6:15 and we cast off lines at 6:30am. The wind was out of the NNW and as we headed out of Deale. We were crossing the waves and when the wake from the boat met the crest of the whitecaps, a violent interaction took place. The white froth was picked up by the wind and blown sideways behind the boat. The plastic side curtains were a blessing on the way out.

One or two of the men in the party were beginning to get real quiet. This is normally a sure sign that their stomachs were beginning to churn. A couple of them were wearing their Pittsburg Steelers apparel, so I didn't really give a crap.

Because of the weather, I couldn't put out boards. I ran 9 boat rods (all umbrella's). The first fish hit early. A whopping 23 inch fish was put in the box. Not only couldn't we run boards, but we had to pretty much run N and S because of the waves. We were hindered from circling back on good marks because of our N/S patteren.

I normally stay out back on the deck and let the customers congregate in the nice warm cabin with John, but after a couple hours of trolling, my butt muscle (I know, make a joke here) started shaking uncontrollably. No matter what I did, I couldn't stop shaking. I gave in and went inside.

Capt John usually brings food for the party and he had his usual smoked bluefish out. I noticed he also had brought something new today because of the weather. He had turkey chilli cooking on the stove.
I normally don't eat anything provided for the customers, but I guess the way I looked at that hot chilli, made John ask if I wanted a cup. I took a big cup and warmed the insides of my old bones.

Back outside I went to tend the lines. One of the party had to go below to use the head, and when he went inside, he began to get sick (if you can't focus on the horizon, your equilibrim gets out of wack faster). Next thing I notice is someone out back with me puking his guts out over the side. Damn; I could have had his chilli. He wasn't the only one who pitched his cookies that day. One other customer started to vie for space on the rail.

We managed to box another fish about the same lenght and that was it for the day. We have been advising the party of the poor fishing lately and rebooking for later this season if they so desire. As a matter of fact, I'm home typing this because the party we had for today has taken a later date.

As we ran back to Deal, the sun had started to peek through the some of the overcast clouds and the spray behind the boat was picked up and cast in the wind. As we would hit a wave, it would blow sideways and the sun would catch it and a rainbow would appear behind the stern.

It wasn't a good day fishing, but most of the party still had a good time eating smoked bluefish, chilli, crabcakes, and pie for desert. The ones with good stomaches finished off a good deal of beer and everyone was happy when we finally got back to the dock.

I spent a good while getting the salt off the boat and the tackle. We had another party headed back out early Sunday morning (If the fishing didn't pick up; at least the weather would be better.

I think my head hit the pillow at 8pm and the alarm went off at 4am Sunday morning. Back at it again, would the fish cooperate today? Every day is different and every party brings a new hope and energy to the days fishing.

5th (Marty)
Old 11-26-2012, 01:03 PM

Sounds like it was more fun than sitting in a tree stand Sat morning was. Took afternoon off from deer and fish so I could rest up for a party Sat night then hit the Bay again early Sunday morning. It was just nasty Saturday and I'm not doing well enough to justify the beating. Glad you made it back with everyone and even fish to show for it.

BTW, I just found out that they are winterizing the dock's water lines today at my marina How are you supposed to clean up after a day like you had Saturday without freshwater? Luckily, I have a back up plan!
Old 11-26-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chessie27 View Post
BTW, I just found out that they are winterizing the dock's water lines today at my marina How are you supposed to clean up after a day like you had Saturday without freshwater?
Unfortunately the boat and the tackle will not be getting washed down when they turn off our dock water. It means I'll be getting home a bit earlier, but the tackle will suffer.

I put the rods up high on the rocket launchers, but the winds had everything wet.
5th (Marty)
Old 11-26-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
Unfortunately the boat and the tackle will not be getting washed down when they turn off our dock water. It means I'll be getting home a bit earlier, but the tackle will suffer.

I put the rods up high on the rocket launchers, but the winds had everything wet.
5th (Marty)

Wipe then down with a rag coated with WD-40. That way you can keep the corrosion down.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:55 PM

Thanks reds for the suggestion. I will be wiping off the windows of the boat because nothing looks worse than salt all over the windows.

As far as the tackle, Capt John's South County Cafe is only a couple of miles away from the marina so I suspect when the water gets turned off at the marina, we will put them in the back of the pickup and take them to be rinsed at the resturant.

There will be some days where the winds are light and everything stays dry, but Saturday was certainly NOT one of those days.

5th (Marty)
Old 11-26-2012, 06:41 PM

You talking about rainbows on the water brings up a fond memory.

One year at Wish a Fish - one special needs boy was telling us about the rainbow he saw. That day was clear - no rainbows in the sky to be seen.

It took some doing but he finally explained to us he saw the rainbow the boat made when it went across a wake and threw water.

Every time my boat throws water and makes a rainbow - I recall that day.

Sounds like you were upfront with your charter - but being fishermen - they just had to go. Amazed Capt. John could cook in choppy seas but guess if he spills it - he has a good mate to clean it up.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:19 PM

Skip; two things from your post.
First; usually when John cooks, I get to steer the boat whereever I want. If I think we might have a chance of picking up a big cow in the channel, I head in that direction. If we have been pounding the 55-65 ft of water on the edge of a dropoff, I can go into 30-35 ft to see what's happening. However, on days like Sat., all I could do was put the swells behind us and ride them in a straight line as John cooked.

Second; I didn't originally post this because someone will misinterpret the post and think we are selfserving or trying to drum up business. But since you broght up "wish a fish" and your experience, I'll share what happened to us on Sundays charter.
It was another group that had to make a long drive to the dock. They were from Virginia and they had made a summer trip with us for rock and blues. We had a banner day and the dad had his 6 yr old son with him on the trip. It turns out the kids birthday is this month and when he was asked what he wanted, he said "another trip fishing with Capt John and Mr. Marty".
We told them the fishing was not up to par in our area, but the trip was already planned with Dad, Mom, son, Uncle, and another friend. Six yr old Nate got to bring in three smaller rock (24 inches) on Sunday.
As I talked with the family, I found out Nate had a 4 yr old brother. The dad said his brother was really bummed he was not going with the rest of the family. I said, "you should have brought him along". Then the father dropped the bomb. He said the younger son has MS and is confined to a wheelchair. The grandmother was watching him today so the mom could get some much needed relief and could be with the rest of the family.
It hit me hard. I have two new twin granddaughters who were born premature and only weighed 3 pounds each. By the grace of God, they are quite healthy and just turned 1 in November.
I'm in the back of the boat and told them that this coming summer, if they wanted to bring Nate's brother with them; we would take the family out for some perch/spot bottom fishing on a day we didn't have a charter. I told them I would give them my time gratis and maybe they could give John a few bucks for fuel.
When the opportunity came that everyone was out on deck, I went into the pilot house and told John, "I just made an exeutive decission that cost you some money". What's the worst that could happen, I get fired and have to fish out of my own Judge more often.
Thankfully, John said we can make that happen, and they don't have to pay for anything".
I told the family John was on board with the idea and they had a free trip coming when it was convienent with their schedual. They were realy excited. I also told them about "wish a fish" and they said they would look it up on their computer.
I sent Nate home with several filets of rock for his birthday dinner. He also took home some sassy shads in different colors to share with his brother. He did some drawings in my "charter book" that holds my spread for different seasons along with some of our charter captains phone numbers I contact from time to time.
Everyone had a great time. It was another "lunch" trip so everyone ate well.
Nate has another fishing memory to keep him through the winter months, and it appears we will be seeing them again this summer for another "fun trip".
5th (Marty)
Old 11-26-2012, 09:03 PM

First class move!! I hope they have an AWESOME trip!!!
Old 11-26-2012, 10:27 PM

Marty

A great story, from a great man...Thanks for telling us the story and thanks for making a difference in someone's life...Too often we forget the important things.

Mike
Old 11-27-2012, 06:26 PM

X2 on a couple of great stories. well done!