Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 03-13-2014, 11:39 AM

Default PSCR spread

Hopefully the water temps. rise enough to convince the fish to come up the bay.

Weds was such a tease with nice weather - then holy hell hit with 40* temp. drop

I'm thinking a trip around the 20th - likely down south near CP marker.

Six rods - five off boards - staggered at various depths , one boat rod deep with umbrella or daisy chain..

Mix of blue / white , chartreuse , and white. Depending on how water looks - might run green glitter shads on some. Starting with tandems - just to get more lures in water.

Once see some on meter on get hooked up - will adjust spread.

So - what are your ideas ?
Old 03-13-2014, 11:50 AM

My idea is to get as much intel from you as possible

I've been watching the "Northern Neck" and "Virginia" boards on TF. Not much "sign" in the way of bait or fish on their meters. Spoke to a friend on Tilghman and he said lots of fish (30+) in the rivers

Water clarity looks good but I want to know about winter jellies. If you do get a couple, don't tell anyone but me how far off the boards they were

Good luck to you, if its nice weather I may get out for a shakedown cruise real soon. Sat. looks good as far as temps, but I already have plans

Keep us posted.
5th
Old 03-14-2014, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
Hopefully the water temps. rise enough to convince the fish to come up the bay.

Weds was such a tease with nice weather - then holy hell hit with 40* temp. drop

I'm thinking a trip around the 20th - likely down south near CP marker.

Six rods - five off boards - staggered at various depths , one boat rod deep with umbrella or daisy chain..

Mix of blue / white , chartreuse , and white. Depending on how water looks - might run green glitter shads on some. Starting with tandems - just to get more lures in water.

Once see some on meter on get hooked up - will adjust spread.

So - what are your ideas ?
Probably 4 board rods w/ tandems, 1 deep boat rod with large umbrella and 1 wwb 250-300' small umbrella with 4 green / black back 6" teasers and a 4 oz parachute w/ 9" green shad w/ no weight. This wwb rod caught a bunch of fish last year.
I'm splashing the HOOK 'EM in 6 hours and 30 minutes, but who's counting

bhl (Bruce)
Old 03-14-2014, 06:14 AM

Bruce- good luck today, I am wicked jealous. I am so far behind in getting ready, I probably won't even PSCR Due to some scheduling conflicts I think I am waiting until May 1st to take the boat south to Kent island. Hoping with the cool water temps, I won't be missing too much at first

I do plan to fish above the bridge before May but not worth the fuel and slip to run south for only 6 rods. (Preseason money/taxes spent- Jeff $$$ - State of MD 0)

Old 03-14-2014, 02:26 PM

My PSCR spread

To start:
4 board -
3 oz solo
3/6 tandem
5 or 7 oz solo
5/9 tandem

Boat:
umbrella with 20 oz
umbrella with 28 oz

once the planers get hit, I will move pull at least 1 umbrella and put another 3/6 tandem out on the boards. I may even pull both umbrellas and stick a 12 oz solo off the board too.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:48 PM

Speaking in "extreme" generalities

If its a cloudy start to the day, fish tend to be caught with deeper lures. As the sun rises and warms the surface water, I get more hits off the lighter lures.

With this being said, you can see why Greg begins with two deep umbrellas and moves at least one umbrella to a board line.

Check some of the buoys on the Chesapeake Bay interactive buoy system, it will give two water temperatures, one for the surface and one for the bottom.

The MSSA meeting at the Broadneck Chapter (Monday Night) will give you information about thermoclines

5th
Old 03-15-2014, 07:35 AM

My question is: If the three rod rule has not been rescinded yet, which is the correct number this time of year, if you are trolling by yourself?
Old 03-15-2014, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reds View Post
My question is: If the three rod rule has not been rescinded yet, which is the correct number this time of year, if you are trolling by yourself?
Reds, I believe the three rod rule was just for the "official" season (April 19-Dec 15).
Talk about a real fiasco, how's this scenario : DNR institutes the 3rod rule, trollers go crazy and DNR writes letter saying it will be rescinded this year, DNR writes emergency legislation and proposes it to legislators currently in Annapolis, one legislator on the committee refuses to sign off, DNR can't rescind the 3rod rule.
What a mess that would be

So far, that's what's happening
5th
Old 03-15-2014, 09:04 AM

My understanding of the three rod rule is it is for the whole State, tidal and non-tidal, for ANY type of fishing. I didn't see anything in the law being species specific, season specific or method specific. What makes you think it only pertains to a certain type of fish or season?
Old 03-15-2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikie View Post
My understanding of the three rod rule is it is for the whole State, tidal and non-tidal, for ANY type of fishing. I didn't see anything in the law being species specific, season specific or method specific. What makes you think it only pertains to a certain type of fish or season?
Much of what you say is true. It is for the whole State, it is tidal and nontidal, it is not species specific, or method specific.
My UNDERSTANDING, is that it doesn't affect PSCR per discussions with and meetings with DNR. That being said; every time I speak with DNR, I get an uneasy feeling that they themselves don't really have a handle on all the specifics.
If you go to your fishing handbook, received with your liscense, you will see that the PSCR restrictions are listed as in years past (max 6 rods, no stingers,barbs crimped).
There is NO mention of the 3 rod rule in the 2014 handbook at all. This is going to cause a mess for NRP police. They have a difficult time enforcing the laws that are mentioned in the book; imagine them trying to enforce the 3 rod rule that is NOT mentioned

You may be correct Getting information from DNR is like calling MVA, you get a different answer from whoever you talk to.
For safty sake, I never PSCR without someone else on my boat. With water being so cold, it is prudent to have at least one other person to be able to drive the boat should someone fall overboard.

Both DNR and MSSA have released information that the rule will be recinded. As of today, that's not the case. If it doesn't get recinded, lots of people will end up with egg on their face.
But what do we have to fear, the same State employees and legislators who put together the Maryland Health Care regulations and websight are on top of this problem
5th