Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 05-07-2016, 11:27 PM

Default Today Could Have Gone Either Way - 5/07 Report

It was in the hands of the St. Mary's County officer that pulled me over this morning. Would he write me up for 20 over the speed limit or would he cut me a little slack? I know a fishing trip is no excuse to speed, but that was all I had. He took my license and registration and I waited. When he returned he handed me the paper and said "I'm going to give you a warning today, enjoy your fishing trip". After that I just felt like the luck would be on my side today!

Got on the water about 8:00 and headed toward the fleet. I was fishing alone today so I decided to set lines well before getting in the middle of all the boats. As soon as I hit 40' I put the boards in and started setting lines. Got six lines set on one side and the sound of birds caught my attention. Looked over just to my left and saw birds diving and bait jumping out of the water!! Since I only had one side set, I was able to make a hard turn and head straight through the birds. That's when all hell broke loose! I grab one rod when it starts screaming and, just as I start reeling, a second rod goes. Then a third, and a fourth!! The second rod is really pulling drag, so I release the first fish (38 inch), hoping for something bigger. That second rod kicked my butt and when it got close to the boat I found out why. Two fish on the same rod, one was 39' and one was BIG!! The "official" measurement from Mike when I took it to Buzz's Marina was 50" 48lb. 2oz. After bringing in the doubleheader, I almost forgot I had 2 other fish on. Luckily one had gotten off, and I brought in the other fish (41 inch) and safely released it.

After the melee...

Last edited by Breakaway; 05-07-2016 at 11:32 PM.
Old 05-08-2016, 05:29 AM

Nice job. Now all you need is a tatoo for the 50" fish

27 Judge "HOOK 'EM"
bhl (Bruce)
Old 05-08-2016, 06:14 AM

Man; I have been looking for that fish for many years
Congratulations on being in the "50" club
5th

p.s. Glad the officer cut you some slack
Old 05-08-2016, 07:14 AM

That is one hell of a fishing report!!! Like Bruce said that 50" is a tattoo, I'm still searching for mine!

Judge Yachts 36 Chesapeake
| Twin Suzuki DF300 | Furuno Electronics
Old 05-08-2016, 08:18 AM

Congrats on catching such a slob! You must have been late getting to the boat because you were home eating your Wheaties. That's a heck of a lot of reeling for 1 person. Thank God you didn't have the full spread out or you may still be out there

Old 05-08-2016, 07:39 PM

That's one heck of a fish... When you called me and said you had a monster your words didn't express how big that fish truly was. Congrats Buddy!
Old 05-12-2016, 01:19 PM

was the officer a young guy? I got pulled over early morning jan. 1st for a cnr trip out of buzzes. He saw the rods in the truck. Asked me how the fishing was and sent me on my way. Same area going to the same marina. congrats on the fish!
Old 05-12-2016, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtrav View Post
was the officer a young guy? I got pulled over early morning jan. 1st for a cnr trip out of buzzes.
Different officer I'm sure, but I'm glad you had the same good luck. The fishing last year was amazing after the season closed. I remember fishing on Jan. 3 and having an epic day! Without a doubt my best ever day of fishing!