Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 08-13-2015, 07:21 PM

Default Got the Natural Light Blues:)

Capt John called and wanted to go scout for some bluefish. He has a charter on Saturday, and hasn't been out for a while. I called a few friends and off we went leaving the pier at 6:30am.
We headed for the Choptank because Jason had done well a few days ago dragging just 4 lines. We got over there a found nothing happening Lots of bait, but no birds working or fish breaking. We trolled some areas that had been good to us in the past, but nothing was giving us love. For about two hours, nothing It was looking bad.

We finally found some birds working in 10 ft of wateramong crab pots

I cranked the rods up two bars each and we headed in. Huge blues (21-22 inches). Rods were covered up and many held two fish each on the spreader bars. I had 7 boat rods out and these fish were crossing lines and creating havoc at will. We dropped down to 5 rods and just kept busy bringing in fish and getting lines back out.
I have to give a huge THANK YOU to Bruce Lewin who was on the boat (Captain of Hook 'Em). Bruce was a second mate on deck and made my day much easier.

On the slack tide and the beginning of the incoming, we did our best. You couldn't get away from big bluefish and small rock (18-20 inches). The cooler was filling up fast, and I started getting worried about our numbers. I told Capt John I could count the fish by tossing them in his big makeshift live well

Just as we were thinking about bringing in the rods, we hooked a crab pot
Pull 'em in guys. We unhooked our spreader from the pot and ran for the dock. When we counted our fish, we had 55 blues and 2 rock (for 6 anglers).

We all pitched in to clean the boat and met back at Capt John's Restaurant (South County Cafe) for some fresh deep fried blues, french fries, cole slaw, short bread, and beer

We had an 18 pack of Tawn's favorite (Natural Light).
Below are pic's of the cooler and the beer

Great day was had by all.
5th
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1883.jpg (90.0 KB, 31 views)
Old 08-13-2015, 07:22 PM

Pic of the Premium Beer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1882.jpg (91.9 KB, 22 views)
Old 08-13-2015, 08:03 PM

Looked like a awsome day to have the blues. And boy did I! All I could think about all day was how you guys were doing. Thanks again for the invite just couldn't get away today unless I had my death certificate as s doctors note for missing work today.
Old 08-14-2015, 03:15 AM

Hey now .... lets not make fun of my premium fishing beer!

Beautiful day yesterday.

I ran a trip Dale from the Wild Goose sent our way. The email I got said 9 guys, all out of town, executive-types for a full day trip, 6am - 2 pm.

Me and the Mate show up at 5am, get everything ready and wait....finally leave at about 6:30 and come out right behind John, Marty & Bruce.

Out of sheer principal, I refused to go above the bridge so we ran up to a tick north of TPL and set up shop with the boards and 16 rods.

Nothing special, a fish about every 30 minutes with a 1:1 ratio of keeper to 18" throwbacks.

Had 6 in the box and was confident I could get at least 3 more so everyone had at least one fish when one of the guys casually asked at about 11:15 when we would be heading back since he had to be at BWI at 2pm

One of the guys was from Florida and had a boat so I point it toward the channel away from everything and ask him to take the wheel while the mate and I ripped everything out of the water as fast as we could.

Got back to the harbor with just enough time for the one guy to make his flight.

When we asked how they wanted their fish cut they said they were all flying out later and didn't want any of it.

After explaining that the Harbor would cook it up for them, they ended up hanging out for awhile and had fresh fried and blackened rockfish for lunch.

I had to settle for Budweiser while helping clean the boat since the Harbor doesn't carry Natural Light
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13 Aug 1.jpg (30.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 13 Aug 2.jpg (84.5 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by Tawn; 08-14-2015 at 08:34 AM.
Old 08-14-2015, 06:05 AM

Marty, It was a great day with a good bunch of guys. Fresh fish dinner and an ice cold Natural Light at John's was out of site.

Tawn, Nice job finding some fish for your clients. At least they didn't tell you that they wanted to go bottom fishing after you had 16 rods set out. I had that happen last year, it made for a long long day.

27 Judge "HOOK 'EM"
bhl (Bruce)

Last edited by bhl; 08-14-2015 at 06:06 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 08-14-2015, 10:59 AM

Damn Marty. Good to hear some fish were found in my neck of the woods. I havent fished in a while but I heard they had shown up at the mouth of the river. Can you give a little more general/specific area that you found them? I would like to get out this weekend.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:10 PM

Chris, we found blues everywhere. Some were in deeper water (30-40 ft), but the largest were in shallow water 10-17 ft among the crab pots.

Birds working, fish breaking for as far as you could see. If you run out to the Sharps Island Light with a good pair of binoculars, you can't miss what we saw.

Remember, it looked like a desert all morning
When it erupted, it was "game on"
Take a cooler full of cold beer and sandwiches; just wait for the action to start

Marty
Old 08-14-2015, 08:17 PM

Bruce;
I thought the boat was bloody. When I got home, I found blood on my sunglasses, in my ears, and even inside my Keen sandals My shirt and shorts had a serious meeting with the washing machine. There was so much blood, I felt like Megan Kelly

Now I need to get out and use my spot for rock
5th
Old 08-15-2015, 03:57 AM

Sounds like a great time, Marty... glad to hear you found them and sorry I missed it! We decided to extend our 3 day trip to 4 days and will be spending the night Sunday in Cambridge... which means we will be chasing those bluefish Sunday and Monday, and hopefully heading home with a load of spot, too!

Tawn - I couldn't believe you picked up a fish as you snaked between me and that other anchored boat in 20 feet of water with one board barely clearing his anchor line and other within 20 feet of me!
Old 08-16-2015, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin' Robin View Post
Sounds like a great time, Marty... glad to hear you found them and sorry I missed it! We decided to extend our 3 day trip to 4 days and will be spending the night Sunday in Cambridge... which means we will be chasing those bluefish Sunday and Monday, and hopefully heading home with a load of spot, too!

Tawn - I couldn't believe you picked up a fish as you snaked between me and that other anchored boat in 20 feet of water with one board barely clearing his anchor line and other within 20 feet of me!
You said you were bottom fishing? I didn't think you would mind.

Those fish were right on that edge you guys were anchored on ... I couldn't help myself.

Last edited by Tawn; 08-16-2015 at 04:28 AM.