Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 08-18-2015, 02:47 PM

Default 1st Live Lining Trip

I haven't been fishing for rock in about 2 weeks In my spare time, I have been picking up some small spot and I finally built my numbers up to about 35

Mlag called last night and said he was planing to hit the water today. I quickly convinced him to jump on my boat and try the small spot at the bridge. We left the pier at 6 and started setting up close to 7am.
I am extra careful when piling fishing. I have a 13 pound anchor and holding can be a problem (I'll look for something in the 20 pound range). It took me a couple of tries to get comfortable, but with Mark's help, we began jumping from one concrete danger zone to another

Mark and Lou picked up four smaller (lower 20's) fish while I stayed at the wheel like a "nervous Nellie". We lost our tide, but tried drifting a few pilings in the light breeze.
The earlier fog had lifted, and with the sun out, it was getting warmer. We decided to call it a day with only 4 in the box. I was OK with this because my main purpose was to pick Mark's brain all morning

We headed for the barn. While we were in the area, we decided to check out one last spot that has produced for us in the past. As we approached, someone Mark knew was sitting right "On My Numbers" Mark asked if he had done any good? He held up a 30 inch fish and said he had just caught 5 in the last couple of minutes. Well, I did what anyone of us would do; I pulled up as close as possible to him and anchored so that our three spot would put more attraction in the water and steal his fish away from him After all, they were my numbers!!

No, seriously, he said he was about to leave and for us to drop anchor right in front of him. He even passed over the spot he had left over!! Anchoring without seeing a concrete wall was easy. No sooner did Mark have a spot out then we heard his line singing. Nice fish!! So nice, even I threw my rod out. I turned around to get a Mountain Dew and my line sang. Finished off our limit with two upper 20 inch fish
Lou felt left out. Because we were lip hooking the rock, we let Lou throw one more spot out. In no time at all, Lou had a nice fish close to the boat. It was released, and we pulled anchor to run home and clean fish (and the boat).

Mark had my boat full of mud (from anchor) and bird poop (from the bridge). But it was worth it.

Thanks for the refresher course Mark. Fun day!!
5th
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1884.jpg (96.2 KB, 28 views)
Old 08-18-2015, 05:38 PM

I assume your intentions were to pick MLag's brain for places to catch green glitter spot?? Please, do tell.....:D

Old 08-18-2015, 05:44 PM

He said to tell you to start stocking up on "purple" shads for next spring Trophy Season (if there is one next year).
5th
Old 08-18-2015, 05:50 PM

Try this one - it'll hold you tight.

Seriously - I got 3-4 if you want to try a few out.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:26 PM

Skip; I'd have to use my windless and Lou's bad back to raise that monster

I have the best friends; Mark actually brought a 22-24 lb spare with him for me to try (he was willing to give it to me). We dropped my anchor down and inserted the larger one in it's place, but the shaft was too long

My smaller anchor only has about three inches to spare between the shaft and the Lewmar. If I have too, I can get the shaft cut down and a new hole cut/drilled into it.

Please no snickering
5th
Old 08-18-2015, 06:33 PM

Marty - get me some measurements on what will fit.

I know I've got a few plow type that look to be short ones.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:37 PM

No problem holding with a 14# anchor and the same boat. I have 30' of heavy chain though.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:50 AM

Fun day Marty. Thanks for the invite. Please call me again as soon as you catch some more spot
Old 08-20-2015, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlag View Post
Fun day Marty. Thanks for the invite. Please call me again as soon as you catch some more spot
I went down to the boat around noon and the wind and dark clouds were all around. I decided to see if I could find a few spot around the marina (you could in years past). I got my spot rod and began looking.

I know the rockfish will ignore perch if spot are around, but what about sunfish? Anybody ever try sunny's in place of spot

My poor spot pen is empty

5th
Old 08-20-2015, 08:14 PM

Two words for you Marty....... Cast net. I know I haven't been getting out or posting much but when I go I want to catch but usually have more fish in the didn't catch, didn't release category. But here lately with the absence of spot I have been catching peanut bunker at the end of our pier with a cast net. Catch enough for live chum, 2"-3" bunker the best for the live chum. Simply grab a bait net full and toss em over the transom and they will usually regroup and make a bait ball right behind the boat. Take the larger ones and put one on the circle hooks I gave you and let it swim back in free spool until it joins up with the ones you tossed over and hang on for the hit. Watch your live chum, they will start going crazy in every direction when the stripers appear. When this all comes together there is no better fishing, you get to watch how the bait reacts when fish show and usually get to see and feel the strike. Most important thing is to only take enough peanut bunker for your trip, the left overs will not survive in a spot pen. Make certain your live well has a high velocity quality pump and a ROUND live well. Bunker will not survive in a live well with squared corners, they need to swim into the current in circles to survive. Try it and I swear you will be hooked, no pun intended!!!