Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 12-17-2009, 03:30 PM

Default Ask a favor concerning fishing conservation / politics

Hey all,

So I'm pretty much done with certain forums on "other" places as I can't take the political threads any more. Don't get me wrong, I want to know about issues, I want to be informed, and I want to take action when necessary to preserve my rights as a fisherman and a hunter. However, the over dramatics, blaming of groups that I associate myself with (I do graduate research on conserving and restoring headwater streams in Maryland), and propaganda type posts got to be too much for me. I found myself wasting too much time wading through BS to get to the real questions/issues so I stopped caring.

As a result, I suggest a gentleman's agreement when posting on political / conservation / fishing rights issues:

1) When applicable, please link any original legislation, rule-making, or other original text about the policies you agree and disagree with. Do not just post a press release without linking, in some way, to the original document. If you can't find it online, or it is not available, please say so. I like to make up my own mind.

2) Do not blame conservation, fishing, professional, or political groups with ideologies you disagree with without actual evidence that they proposed/supported the given rule changes, policies, etc. There are instances where groups are behind certain things, and I want to know that. However, I don't want to waste my time reading through page, after page, of who's to blame when all I care about is what the problem is and how to act on it.

3) Please limit the "propaganda" in posts and stick with facts. We are all smart, and we have the ability to understand issues without using catchy phrases with no real meaning. If you say my rights as a fisherman are being limited, you'll have my attention.

I value my time too much to waste it reading through opinions on motivations, political idealogy, and the sometimes blatant (and pointless) need to attack a random group for no other reason than the desire to blame them for everything you feel is wrong with the world. This happens from all sides.

Maybe I'm wrong, and feel free to disagree, but I feel like I would be more sympathetic and informed if people stuck to the topic and we (fisherman) stuck together.

and my hope is then...

this board will stay fishing focused and not become the bickering mess found "elsewhere".

Just my humble opinion.

Cheers,

bob
Old 12-17-2009, 03:43 PM

Bob - We all share your hope and wishes for this site. All of your requests seem reasonable. It is only a matter of time before the 'same people' start posting here. It will depend on how involved this board's moderator (and members) will be. Time will tell...Don

Last edited by drichitt; 12-17-2009 at 03:45 PM.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:27 PM
Baldzilla

Hell, personally I'd rather see this site just stick to fishing reports, fishing questions, and helpful hints and stuff and leave the other stuff on the other site all together...it won't take this site long to become inundated with the other BS...

oh, but feel free to post pics of hot chicks in bikinis or less
Old 12-17-2009, 05:38 PM

Well, I've never seen Baldzilla right about anything but (as much as it pains me to) I have to agree with him. All the political/conservation type info is important but there are other resources available to discuss that.

As the old saying goes "Shoemaker, stick to thy last". (for those of you that fish the Bay Bridge that means do one thing and do it well). In other words, lets keep this more specialized like ol' Baldie said.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:45 PM

I hate to admit it as well Keith, but I too agree with Mark. I would prefer if this site had nothing but fishing related discussions on it. Reports, techniques, rigging, etc. Conservation discussions spin out of control too easily and CBAngler would be no different than TF...Don
Old 12-17-2009, 06:54 PM
Baldzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by drichitt View Post
I hate to admit it as well Keith, but I too agree with Mark. I would prefer if this site had nothing but fishing related discussions on it. Reports, techniques, rigging, etc. Conservation discussions spin out of control too easily and CBAngler would be no different than TF...Don
One day you will all realize, I'm not just a pretty face with great fishing prowess, I'm extremely intelligent too!

The point of this site was to get away from all that on TF, and I am all for conservation but I'm just fine arguing it on TF not here...I came here to actually share fishing information and reports without the judgement, etc which so far we have done...but as much as it pains me, no matter how much I'm antagonized on this board I'm not going to bust balls, etc (except Martin's) etc on this board...I personally think we can make it a great board with only the essentials and a great core group of fishermen sharing legit fishing reports and not the lies and misdirection you read on TF. I know I'm hoping for a lot, but I personally plan to use this board for good, not evil and hope everyone else would follow suit and as Marty said long ago, either get a moderator who will delete the BS or let's all just ignore it and let it drop off the first page!

Bah Humbug!
Old 12-17-2009, 07:06 PM

Favor granted on my end. Keep the politics on a political forum or the other board. I am here to talk about fishing.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:30 PM

I'm still posting BS on the other board. Fishing goes on this board. I hope others follow suit. 5th (Marty)
Old 12-17-2009, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldzilla View Post
...oh, but feel free to post pics of hot chicks in bikinis or less
Sounds good!

Old 12-17-2009, 09:54 PM
Baldzilla

See, that's what a fishing board is all about! These old dudes are all obsessed with Dr. Julie when that is sitting out there just waiting to be googled