Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 04-22-2013, 08:06 AM

Default The Turtles

At least I beleive it was The Turtles who sang the song "Everyone knows it's Windy".

Off today (whew) but booked up every other day until May 5th Just thought I'd post our experience from opening weekend.
Nobody needs to be told it was windy and a cold front came through just before opening day The week prior to Opening, we had been scouting waters around Deale. We had friends who hit the waters between Matapeake and Bloody Point and were successful picking up several fish with only 6 rods. We scouted waters further south and struggled with only a fish or two.
We had Captain Charlie Schneider (from Tilghman) onboard and he verified that the Captains out of Tilghman were struggling down south as well.
So; with this information, we decided to head north out of Deale on Opening Day We knew it was going to be busy in that area. Our plan was to get there early, drop lines pick up four or five fish and troll during the busy part of the day for the last one or two. Even the best plans fail on occassion
I put out our 22 rod spread in choppy conditions. It was blowing mostly NW with mainly out of the West. I decided we could get away with our scotty clips and save the rubberbands for worse conditions
For the most part, the clips held fine. It wasn't the wind I had to worry about, it was the boat traffic. Occassionally, we had to make emergency manuvers to avoid other boats. When the captain increased speed and turned sharply, the outside board would speed up so much, that it would pop the last clips down the line When I'm at the helm of my personal boat and in heavy traffic trolling, I like to "send a message" to the other boat headed in my direction. How do I do this, I turn the wheel enough to move my bow significantly to either starboard or port. This way the other captain (if paying attention), will know exactly where I am going. I don't really rely on whether I have the right away and therefore am going to hold my course come hell or high water. I assume the other captain doesn't know the "rules of the road" and is looking for a sign as to what I am going to do
If we are ever heading bow to bow, you will definately know which direction I'm turning
Anyway; we marked plenty of fish and bait in the area but couldn't make them bite. It was frustrating to say the least. We ended day one with 3 fish in the box, one 26 inch fish (where the heck did he come from), and four knockdowns that didn't come tight (what was that all about?).

Day two was even more entertaining We left Deale and found 4 to 5 foot waves out of the north. I had reports of a 36 Judge that stuffed his bow into several waves and had "green water" come up over the windows. Last time I checked, Bill Judge doesn't build any submarines. We, thankfully were in a 46ft Markley and even it pounded a wave or two. I was watching from in the cabin and you could watch about every 5th or 6th wave was a big roller. One of the waves actually lifted Captain John out of his helm seat and his head hit the roof It was rough!!
The winds layed down to the point where we had small whitecaps in the late morning. This allowed us to explore a more E/W pattern and we picked up two fish.
Most of our fish (to few to see a real pattern) have come off the lighter lines. We have had most success off the boards (even a four oz. single back 5 bars produced) and my 6 pack back 200 ft with no weight has produced fish.
This is certainly not typical of opening weekend, but you fish whatever weather you have. In a 46 ft boat, we can get out in most weather. In a personal boat, pick your days or be bold and cancel your trip if you have to. Two fishermen lost their lives off Point Lookout this weekend and I believe 4 were rescued off the same boat.
Live to fish another day if the weather is that bad.
I wish I had better intel for you. I really don't know what to say. Those who fished down south (below Breezy) didn't set the world on fire either. I understand Solomons didn't produce tons of fish either. I don't know if the fish are still coming in, up in the rivers spawning, or just shut down after the cold front.
Be safe, fish hard, good luck catching.

5th (Marty)
Patent Pending
Herrington Harbor North
Old 04-22-2013, 09:00 AM

Product Evaluation

I will spend money like water when pimping out my boat; drinking with friends; or buying something for my wife, children, and grandchildren However, when buying chothes for myself, that's a diferent matter. I've been retired for about 5 years (it's nice when you can't remember exactly) and some of my "work clothes" still hang in my closet and get used My denim pants get worn until I have holes in the legs, and then they get cut off and worn as shorts when cutting grass or working around the house. My wife knows better than to buy me clothes when I'm not with her, because they will probably go back to the store for a refund. If a find something I like, I wear it to death. Although expensive, everything Underarmor has served me well. I will buy turtlenecks, longsleeve shirts, and shortsleeve underarmor shirts from the outlet store across the bridge.
My shoes last until the soles fall off. Remember the photo of my docksiders.

Well, I've been looking for a pair of bibs for the charter boat for two years. I have been wearing my insulated ski bibs while searching. I have seen grunduens (sp) that I liked but didn't want to pay the cost for them. Another company (Gates I believe) makes a sweet looking pair, too expensive for me as well. I know, I'm cheap when it comes to my clothing.
Last year I was fishing with Mike (garlein) and he had on a pair of Froggtoggs (Toads) which are their better quality bibs. He said he was satisfied with them. He had to order the bibs from the catalog out of Bass Pro, because they only had the "pants" on the floor.
I was reluctant to order through the catalog because of size. I hate having the legs too long and stepping on the cuff all day long
This past winter, I saw the Toads (in bibs) at Bass Pro. I tried on the "Large" and found the legs too long I tried on the Med and they fit perfectly If I remember correctly, they were about $65. This weekend, I lived in them. They are uninsulated and therefore flexible. I can climb up on the motorbox to set rods, or get down a screaming bent rod with a big fish on it They cut the wind and keep you dry with the spray off the waves. There was plenty of opportunity for them to fail me, but they didn't.
The Frogg Toggs appear to be their cheaper line and the Toads appear to be better quality. I'll let you know how they hold up. The zippers are covered with overlapping material that gets velcroed. Two big pockets, again weather protected, provide safe storage for your cell phone.
I don't recommend much stuff on the board, but what I do, works.

5th (Marty)
Old 04-22-2013, 04:37 PM

I have Grundens but don't wear them too often. I find them to be a bit heavy and bulky if you are trying to climb around. They are a bit pricey but not as bad when your mother in law distributes for them . I may try the Toads for a lighter/cost effective set up. I would bet if you compared the cost of the Grundens or the Toads vs what Capt John spent to stay dry this weekend, you might just buy 2 pairs of each!!

Old 04-22-2013, 05:04 PM

Well, if I'm going to tell you what to buy, I might as well tell you what not to buy. For years, I had a pair of L.L. Bean short boots with gum soles. When they died, I went looking for another pair. They changed the design, and don't offer them anymore
I bought a pair of Bass Pro short boots (cheap). I got what I paid for They must not have much of an insole in them, because they hurt my feet after a day on the boat.
I bought a pair of the L.L.Bean duck boots, and they work very well. I wish they were a tad higher so when I hose down the boat, my feet didn't get wet
5th
Old 04-22-2013, 06:14 PM

The band was the Association. Song title was Windy

We went out of Breezy on Sunday and yes it was windy, snotty, rough or what ever adjective you want to use. As the captain said when we got back to the dock, if you didn't get seasick Sunday your never getting seasick

We got one about 9 am on a boat rod, tandem back 170' and we left the pier about 6:10 and returned about 3:30 or so

Last edited by PhilK999; 04-23-2013 at 03:28 AM.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:48 PM

Right you are Phil. How could I forget the Association

I was driving around in my '69 Torino GT fastback. It was white with a red "C"stripe! Great car!
5th
Old 04-23-2013, 11:31 AM

Two things...

First those Toadz bibs are amazing....It is worth trying a pair of them out....

Second Marty you had a 69 Torino ? I had a 74 with a 351 Windsor and 4 barrell...Metal Flake Green....

They dont make em like that anymore...
Old 04-23-2013, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garlien View Post
Two things...

First those Toadz bibs are amazing....It is worth trying a pair of them out....

Second Marty you had a 69 Torino ? I had a 74 with a 351 Windsor and 4 barrell...Metal Flake Green....

They dont make em like that anymore...
Mike, a lot of my friends wanted mustangs, barracudas, cougars, etc; but I thought the back seats were too small

They were great cars! I keep watching the Auto Auctions on TV looking for them. Not many survived and have been restored

I had the 351 also, I would have liked the Cobra, but insurance was too much!
5th

Last edited by 5th Tuition; 04-23-2013 at 05:00 PM.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:31 AM

Thought I would just tack a new post onto this one. General theme. Had a charter yesterday in the wind we couldn't use boards Ran ten boat rods, and still only picked up three fish Saw several other charters running boat rods only as well. I did see ONE private boat out among us. He was really rocking and rolling.
Heard on the radio the CG had a report of a capsized Chris Craft (25ft) and to be on the lookout for people in the water. Heard later they found everyone
We have been doing very well with a combo of boat and a single board with 4 or 5 lines out on the boards. Yesterday was not a good day to be out.
We have seen a few charters livelinning . Looks like the spot are here in sufficient numbers to catch and use as bait.
Best of luck to everyone out this Memorial Day weekend. Be safe, and enjoy!
5th