Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 11-19-2014, 05:45 PM

Default Hdg md

Good evening, first time posting on this site as I am originally from PA and bassbarn was the site to use up there because of fishing out of Jersey.

I am new to fishing the area, I bought a house in havre de grace and own a 18 foot center console, have been having small success thus far this fall but I am looking to get a few more trips in this season and thats were you guys come in.

Any buddy got any tips that would help the next few trips be much more successful.

Thanks again in advance.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:28 PM

Welcome to the site. I don't think many of our anglers fish that area near HDG. Most fish from Poole's Island and south to Solomon's Island.

I personally am not familiar with the water in your area. I'm sure someone can help you; but if you ever decide to fish down this way, there are plenty of tips and advice on places to go.

Good luck;
5th (Marty)
Old 11-20-2014, 12:18 AM

The flats and Susquehanna are sort of a niche fishery. But there are rockfish (striped bass) caught through the summer there and trophies as well as smaller stripers available in the spring. Large mouth bass and white perch also are caught there and yellow perch runs can be fantastic in late winter/early spring up there. The Northern Bay chapter of the MSSA meets in NorthEast the fourth Wednesday of the month (except Dec, June, and July). You don't have to join to attend a meeting (they even feed you), But it's a good place to meet some friendly folks who fish that area heavily. It's a relatively small group but they're very hospitable and probably the best place to go to meet potential fishing buddies willing to share local knowledge and perhaps share some trips. President of the chapter is Ken Simmers (kensimmers@comcast.net) - his e-mail address is posted on the chapter site of MSSA so I'm only sharing information that is already public.
Old 11-20-2014, 05:28 AM

I appreciate the information, most of the time I will be fIshing from the elk river up but I am willing to make the run to pooles island every once in awhile, so I will take all the info from any area in-between that people are willing to give.

For instance is it worth running to pooles yet this upcoming weekend/week with the warmer weather? I had heard from a buddy up here last week he did ok down there. I have buddies that would come that make the fuel bill a sustainable option.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:08 PM

From what I hear, the bite around Pooles island has slacked up some. Hell, the entire upper bay bite has gotten tough in the last week or so. I would recommend paying close attention to the wind forcast and how it will affect the wave height. The Bay can get pretty bumpy, even that far north.
Good luck!!
Old 11-21-2014, 08:23 AM

I appreciate the tip guys, anybody from my neck of the woods (HDG) doing anything, I am not looking for spots as much as confirmation I am not wasting my time.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:24 AM

Went out Sunday tried off of apg, susky river, and the flats area. Tried with assassins, swimshads, crankbaits didn't get a thing, anybody having luck? Thinking about trying Tuesday with the weather change maybe something will turn on.