Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Gear, Tackle, Electronics

Old 12-17-2014, 07:41 PM

Default Reel Service Feedback

Marty texted me and ask me to post feedback on my experience with Rick Reel Service of The Hull Truth fame.

I sent Rick six Penn 460 Liveliners and two Penn 113H for service. I shipped them UPS and insured them for $1000. It cost me about $50 to ship them to him in Florida. I should have used USPS.

The Liveliners are 4 years old and have had fairly hard use recreationally, on the charter boat and I have used them hook & line fishing. Other than hosing them off, I have never done anything with them. They weren't broke but I really like them and felt guilty so I had Rick do a basic clean, inspect and lube on them. He did not find any problems and did a very nice job tuning them up - they came back looking and feeling like new. He charged $25 a reel for the spinning reel service.

The Penn 113H's are old - I bought them used a long time ago. Rick placed one as a early 70's and the other mid 70's to early 80's. I use all Penn 330's except for these two that I use on my deep, boat rods. I kind of like that they are old - kinda nostalgic. Anyway - they were showing their age - drags had to be tightened down all the way to hold a 28oz in-line with an umbrella and they had some corrosion issues. Rick basically restored them to nearly new condition replacing the corroded parts and upgraded the drags to Carbon-Tex drag washers.

Price breakdown is:
Clean & service Penn 113's: $23 per reel
Install Carbon-tex drag: $16 per reel
Replace two new trim rings: $16.60
Replace two posts: $8.30

10% discount for eight or more reel service package

The return shipping via USPS was $14.00

Overall I was very happy with his service.

His website is: http://www.ricksreelservice.com/Home_Page.php

The thread on THT is: http://www.thehulltruth.com/sportfis...h-upgrade.html and http://www.thehulltruth.com/fishing-...l-service.html

NOW.....I have a friend, a co-worker, and a fellow retired U.S. Navy Chief who is local and is looking to get into the reel service business as a hobby. He has been doing all the reel warranty work for Reel Draggin Tackle and has worked on and repaired reels off the charter boat for us over the past year. He is near St Leonard, near Solomons, and has my highest recommendation as well. He has given me permission to post his name and number. He is Chris Vassallo and his cell is 240-216-8348. He does have school age children and we start work at 0530 so please don't call him late.

Hope this helps in case anyone is looking to get their gear tweaked over the winter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reel 1.jpg (89.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg reel 2.jpg (94.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Reel 3.jpg (94.7 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by Tawn; 12-17-2014 at 08:11 PM.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:54 PM

Tawn; thanks for posting your experience. I could tell Rick did a super job on your penn's. With parts, labor, and shipping; your 113's were pretty expensive. The good thing is they are actually better than new condition with the upgrade to the drags
Does Rick call or email you to ask if you want to replace parts?

If you had opted for Power Handles, they would have been the cost of new

They really look good. Again, thanks for posting.
5th (Marty)
Old 12-18-2014, 04:29 AM

Rick was very good about staying in touch. He emailed me before he replaced any parts or did anything that cost anything above and beyond the basic service price which he stated up front.

I don't remember exactly what he charged for power handles but I remember his price was cheaper than you could buy them for on eBay. I wanted them to look original so I stayed with the colored, Bakelite handles.

I shot myself in the foot by shipping them via UPS at a UPS store. It would have been a fraction of the cost had I just went to the post office.
Old 12-24-2014, 09:50 PM

I am also willing to give Rick a great review. Sent my trolling reels down to him last winter. They are a mix of Penn 210's and Daiwa 47LC's. Most of the reels date to the mid 80's.

Anyway, shipped him a box of old sort of working reels and got a set back that worked and looked like new. He told when he got them, told me when he started work, told me what parts he recommended replacing, cleaned/fixed everything and shipped them back.

Rick did not even send me an bill until I had the reels and was satisfied with the work. Really good guy!